Fanny Brawne- victims or traitor?

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Saturn » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:06 am

By THAT age he may well have died of natural causes anyway.

Life expectancy was pretty low in those days and living in smog infested industrial London....
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:12 am

Saturn wrote:By THAT age he may well have died of natural causes anyway.

Life expectancy was pretty low in those days and living in smog infested industrial London....

I imagine he would have moved away from London long before age 42--considering how much he hated London at age 23/24 (and well before then). Maybe he would have lived in Winchester? He seemed to like it there :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:37 am

Good point, Malia. I'm sure that as soon as he would have had the financial means, he'd have high-tailed it outta there!
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Tina » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:16 am

At the age of 42?
Hm...
Crisis of the middle- aged :)

May I ask you,Saturn: do you really think that only person who are near you can kill you???
Tina

Postby Saturn » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:19 am

:shock:

I'm not sure what you mean there. :roll:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Tina » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:25 am

"Um Lady Byron was 2000 miles away when Byron died in Greece "
Tina

Postby Saturn » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:36 am

Yes but how do you think she killled him? :roll:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Tina » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:44 am

She "poisoned " his life in England and made him" an enemy of the English".
But it's only my oppinion...
Tina

Postby dks » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:05 pm

Nah, Lady Byron just practically bugged Byron to death is all. Good, Stephen--we need a Byron expert on here...help counterbalance...have I mentioned how smart everyone on here is? :shock:

Let's see, if Keats had lived anywhere near past 30--he would've at least tried to run into the Vauxhaull woman again...he needed to definitely 'tick that off his list' so to speak...I mean, that kind of young, idealized love will haunt you--it did him...to a degree...

Yes, that unfulfilled love is the best kind--for any uber-Romantic...I live that several times a year it seems... :oops: :( :shock: :lol:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:11 pm

Tina wrote:She "poisoned " his life in England and made him" an enemy of the English".
But it's only my oppinion...

Byron was his own worst enemy. I would say his relationship with his half-sister Augusta was the casue of his self-imposed exile and his revilement by some of the British people.

There's no getting away from the fact that he did treat Annabella [his wife] very badly indeed but her actions were not entirelay blameless either in teh marriage. As a rational, highly intelligent woman she should have known better than to marry someone like Byron, so antipathetic to her nature and condition.
Opposites sometimes do attract of course but in this case they were perhaps too different to ever have been compatible.
She was perhaps dazzeled by his appraent wickedness and wished to "save" him from himself with her Christian piety.

It's interesting that he became detested by the Upper classes [hypocritically no doubt] yet was still adored by the middle and working classes.
When he died it was the ordinary people who came to pay their respects as his funeral cortege passed by.
His fellow aristocrats shunned him in death as they had done so in life.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Tina » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:43 am

If people decided to marry , they would have to know about characters, life ideas and strangenesses of partner...
Tina

Previous

Return to Life and Letters