Audio Keats and Podcasts

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Audio Keats and Podcasts

Postby Malia » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:38 pm

Hi Everyone,
I was fooling around with my Mac this morning and I discovered how to make a podcast--so I've started a bare-bones one (as a way to practice). In the process, I created a little podcast of Keats's introduction of Fanny B. to George (and his lambasting of her friend, Miss Robinson). The music in the background comes from the CD entitled "Jane Austen Entertains" that I bought in England. The music is "drawing room" music that is contemporary to the period--and might very well have been something Miss Robinson played on the piano when Keats visited Fanny B.

I enjoy this small (but famous) piece from Keats's letters because it shows not only his "protesting too much" regarding his feelings for Fanny, but also attests to his sometimes not-so-perfect attitude about women. He was fairly cruel about Miss Robinson. And even as regards Fanny--although what he says of her is accurate, according to other contemporary sources--he sounds almost as if he were inspecting a horse he intended to purchase. That said, I approached reading the letter with a little "haughtiness" in my voice, because I think that reflects Keats's manner in this particular snapshot.

You should be able to access my podcast using this link:

http://web.me.com/maryayers/Site/Podcast/Podcast.html

If anyone else has a Keats-related video/audio/or podcast, please feel free to share it here in this thread :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Re: Audio Keats and Podcasts

Postby Raphael » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:32 pm

I will have a listen tommorrow- at a friend's right now. It wasn't that nice what John wrote about Miss Robinson- but then again maybe she wasn't that nice, and what he said was more making fun- and who hasn't done that?
He probably had people making fun of him- his height, aspirations etc- well we know the literary magazines did. Maybe he was feeling irritable that day- who knows? I don't think he was especially bad to women ( for a man of those times) - we have to take into account of him losing his mother and perhaps feeling abandoned and afraid to trust women- he was insecure about his height and looks ( tho he was attractive, but couldn't see it). Everyone has their off days- but on the whole he was a lovely person. :D
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:06 am

Oh he certainly was a lovely person, Raphael, to be sure! I just wanted to highlight that he was also a young man of his age who certainly had his imperfections :) (Also the kind of "Benedick" way he talks about Fanny B. is kind of humorous! ;) )
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:08 pm

Malia wrote:Oh he certainly was a lovely person, Raphael, to be sure! I just wanted to highlight that he was also a young man of his age who certainly had his imperfections :) (Also the kind of "Benedick" way he talks about Fanny B. is kind of humorous! ;) )

Upon first reading his letter about Fanny and Miss Robinson it did make me laugh Malia! And the bit where he wrote ( as they put the tapers out that night) about Charles Brown saying how ugly an old woman Miss R would be and he said he must have "groan'd aloud for 10 mins" :lol: I could just picture him.

His imperfections gave him his wonderful character! And he wrote that he didn't believe in "perfectibility." :wink:

Darn it! The podcast doesn't work on this public internet ( no quick player)- is there any way you could load it on something like media player please? I'm dying to hear it.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:27 pm

I don't know if I can load it in media player, Raphael--I have an mp3 file of it that you might be able to open. But generally, these open in quicktime or real player. Just one of those irritating gaps between macs and pc's I suppose. I've been trying to bridge that gap for a while, but I still haven't figured it out. . .
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:29 pm

Malia wrote:I don't know if I can load it in media player, Raphael--I have an mp3 file of it that you might be able to open. But generally, these open in quicktime or real player. Just one of those irritating gaps between macs and pc's I suppose. I've been trying to bridge that gap for a while, but I still haven't figured it out. . .

I have a pen stick which I could save it on - an mp3 format would be capital! :D
I can listen to it on my home PC then!
Thank you!
p.s you have my email address don't you?

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:32 pm

Should I email it to you? I forget what your email is--can you PM it to me?

P.S. I'm playing the file in Real Player and it works fine. In the quicktime version, I've included some photos--so the podcast has both an audio and visual element, but you don't need to see the pictures to "get" the audio.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:36 pm

Should I email it to you? I forget what your email is--can you PM it to me?

Done!

P.S. I'm playing the file in Real Player and it works fine. In the quicktime version, I've included some photos--so the podcast has both an audio and visual element, but you don't need to see the pictures to "get" the audio.

I have media player on my home PC. I think I have Real player also, tho not sure as not had occasion to use it.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby BrokenLyre » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:04 am

I heard it easily enough on my PC - it came out in Real Player.
For some reason, hearing Keats is just more alive than simply reading it (sometimes). Very nice.

Thanks
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:45 pm

BrokenLyre wrote:For some reason, hearing Keats is just more alive than simply reading it (sometimes). Very nice.
Thanks

Yes, I think that is true- the full force of La Belle Dame sans merci didn't hit me til I heard Ben Whishaw read it on the Bright Star CD.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Credo Buffa » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:06 pm

BrokenLyre wrote:For some reason, hearing Keats is just more alive than simply reading it (sometimes).

Poetry is, at its heart, meant to be read aloud (I'm pretty sure at least one of my lit profs reminded us of this rather more often than necessary!). It draws on rhythms of language and tonal qualities of words that you never fully appreciate until you hear them. While it is considered a linguistic art, I feel it is truly musical at its core. :)

Can't wait to listen to this later, Malia! What an exciting venture.
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Raphael » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:17 pm

I hope you do some more Malia! Are you taking requests? :lol:

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:47 pm

I can take requests, no problem! :)

Actually, I will probably put more podcasts together, if only to recite poems and letters. It is a lot of fun and can help me hone my ability a little more. I find that when I get nervous I start sounding kind of haughty--which in no way is a reflection of my feelings or my true self, but sometimes sends the wrong impression to others. :roll: So, maybe some recitation would not only be fun but will also help me lose that unfortunate tic! :lol:
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:41 pm

I
can take requests, no problem! :)Actually, I will probably put more podcasts together, if only to recite poems and letters. It is a lot of fun and can help me hone my ability a little more.

You are good at recitals- I am useless- I cannot speak with flow- I make mistakes ( mis reading stuttering etc). Also, I have a terrible fog horn voice which would insult his letters and poems!

I find that when I get nervous I start sounding kind of haughty--which in no way is a reflection of my feelings or my true self, but sometimes sends the wrong impression to others. :roll:

Really- you had an amused and satirical air- which might have been as John intended- it seemed to have been written with humour. :D
I presume you have the Grant Scott edition of the letters?

So, maybe some recitation would not only be fun but will also help me lose that unfortunate tic! :lol

I shall look for some more amusing and witty bits of his letters for you then! :D
But you might also like to do his serious philosphical bits like the Vale of Soul Making and Negative Capability. I'd like them too.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:48 pm

Yes, I have the Grant Scott edition and also the Gittings edition (although my paperback copy is falling apart, unfortunately). I read through the Grant Scott several times a week--I often make it my "before bed" reading. Someday, I would love to be able to read his letters aloud the way I hear them spoken in my head; the letters are so beautiful.

I'll see what I can do about podcasting some of his more popular/famous passages, such as the Vale of Soulmaking and the Mansion of Many Apartments. And yes, if you can hunt down some more humorous passages, I'd be happy to podcast them!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Next

Return to Life and Letters