Keats family letters

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Keats family letters

Postby Raphael » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:19 pm

I was wondering if any letters that Tom, George and Fanny wrote to John have survived and been published?
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: Keats family letters

Postby Malia » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:35 pm

You know, Raphael, I don't think any to John have survived; I haven't seen any published, at any rate and I would imagine they *would* be if they existed. But I can't claim to know every inch of the Keats cannon, either. So some may exist. I think I've read a letter from Tom to a friend . . . I'd have to look into that to make sure it wasn't just a dream I had :lol: Definitely worth exploring. However, I am pretty sure few letters to Keats have survived. He was in the habit of burning his papers.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:37 pm

Malia wrote: However, I am pretty sure few letters to Keats have survived. He was in the habit of burning his papers.

Why did he burn his papers? Did he do this when he was leaving for Italy knowing that he would never return and so didn't want to keep them and re- read them ( them possibly being seen as a reminder of the life he was losing...)?

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:47 pm

I think he had a habit of burning correspondence he didn't "need" anymore. I *think* I remember him mentioning cleaning up his correspondence in a letter once--and I believe that included burning a few. Certainly, he might have had a darker view of things when he burned his papers before leaving for Italy; those he may have burned in part as a symbolic way to cut himself off from the world he knew he would shortly be leaving. But, as I said, I think he was already in the habit of doing such things before the trip to Italy.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:16 pm

Malia wrote:I think he had a habit of burning correspondence he didn't "need" anymore. I *think* I remember him mentioning cleaning up his correspondence in a letter once--and I believe that included burning a few. Certainly, he might have had a darker view of things when he burned his papers before leaving for Italy; those he may have burned in part as a symbolic way to cut himself off from the world he knew he would shortly be leaving. But, as I said, I think he was already in the habit of doing such things before the trip to Italy.

Ah, I wish he had kept the ones by Fanny Brawne don't you?

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:24 am

Raphael wrote:
Malia wrote:I think he had a habit of burning correspondence he didn't "need" anymore. I *think* I remember him mentioning cleaning up his correspondence in a letter once--and I believe that included burning a few. Certainly, he might have had a darker view of things when he burned his papers before leaving for Italy; those he may have burned in part as a symbolic way to cut himself off from the world he knew he would shortly be leaving. But, as I said, I think he was already in the habit of doing such things before the trip to Italy.

Ah, I wish he had kept the ones by Fanny Brawne don't you?

Of course we all wish he'd kept letters from his friends! But I'm guessing that Keats had a tidy streak -- not at all a pack-rat like I tend to be. He probably disposed of letters he didn't feel he needed to keep as a matter of course.

His room-mate at Guy's (Stephens) described him as being "orderly." I take this to mean that he was neat and, like my husband, not at all prone to keeping bits of paper around when those bits of paper are no longer needed.

We do have "The Keats Circle. Letters and Papers ," and its "blockbuster" :wink: sequel "More Letters and Poems of the Keats Circle." The letters contained in these two skinny volumes have told me a lot about our poet through the eyes of those around him. There are letters written by George, Severn and others with some fascinating (to me, anyway) bits of Keats trivia.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:02 pm

Of course we all wish he'd kept letters from his friends! But I'm guessing that Keats had a tidy streak -- not at all a pack-rat like I tend to be. He probably disposed of letters he didn't feel he needed to keep as a matter of course.

And yet most of his friends kept his letters- shows how interesting and precious they found his letters to be.

His room-mate at Guy's (Stephens) described him as being "orderly." I take this to mean that he was neat and, like my husband, not at all prone to keeping bits of paper around when those bits of paper are no longer needed.

I never imagined John to be tidy- how interesting...

We do have "The Keats Circle. Letters and Papers ," and its "blockbuster" :wink: sequel "More Letters and Poems of the Keats Circle." The letters contained in these two skinny volumes have told me a lot about our poet through the eyes of those around him. There are letters written by George, Severn and others with some fascinating (to me, anyway) bits of Keats trivia.

I have heard of this book- the Keats Circle- it is on my wanted list!
I wish someone would publish one book that has all the letters he ever wrote in one volume. I want to read all of them.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:56 am

Raphael wrote:

And yet most of his friends kept his letters- shows how interesting and precious they found his letters to be.

[snip]

I have heard of this book- the Keats Circle- it is on my wanted list!
I wish someone would publish one book that has all the letters he ever wrote in one volume. I want to read all of them.

I suspect that his friends passed some of the letters around among themselves -- they're so wonderful!

Keep an eye out for the Keats Circle -- two volumes! (I'm still looking for volume 1!)

I was particularly touched by Severn's letters. You can see the man aging through his long, full life, his mental powers fading -- his thoughts becoming a bit scattered. But his love for his friend was a constant theme.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:55 pm

I
suspect that his friends passed some of the letters around among themselves -- they're so wonderful!

Keep an eye out for the Keats Circle -- two volumes! (I'm still looking for volume 1!)

I was particularly touched by Severn's letters. You can see the man aging through his long, full life, his mental powers fading -- his thoughts becoming a bit scattered. But his love for his friend was a constant theme.

Yes they knew true friendship back then- unlike today when people constantly let you down despite there being more communicative devices such as telephones.
If John had been living now and was treminally ill I bet nonone would devote themselves to him like Joseph did- they would be too busy getting drunk or watching TV.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Life and Letters