John Keats in History Today website

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

John Keats in History Today website

Postby Raphael » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:06 pm

I found this link from the Keats House website:

http://historytodaymagazine.blogspot.co ... -star.html

If only I knew the biographer of Joseph Severn was going to be on the radio! I'd have listened to that.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: John Keats in History Today website

Postby BrokenLyre » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:24 pm

That biography on Severn by Sue Brown looks wonderful!

Just more I have to read....when I get a chance.

Thanks Raphael for the link!
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:19 pm

BrokenLyre wrote:That biography on Severn by Sue Brown looks wonderful!

Just more I have to read....when I get a chance.

Thanks Raphael for the link!

It will be one for my list. Joseph Severn lived to a grand old age- amazing considering the close contact he had with our dear Junkets when he was so ill- just shows some people must have an immunity to Consumption.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Maureen » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:44 pm

Thanks for the link Raphael. You can still hear the radio interview with Sue Brown - it's up on the BBC site here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00npjnj#synopsis
- just click on 'Listen Again' - I'm listening to it now! Not sure what the availability is for those of you outside the UK, but it's worth a try.
Edit: to avoid having to sit through the whole programme (unless you want to) the Severn discussion is the last bit of the show - starts around 33 minutes in.

My reading on the pre-Raphaelites threw up the fact that John Ruskin's cousin married an artist called Arthur Severn - surely he must have been some relation to Joseph - anyone know?
Maureen

Postby Sid13 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:19 pm

Maureen wrote:My reading on the pre-Raphaelites threw up the fact that John Ruskin's cousin married an artist called Arthur Severn - surely he must have been some relation to Joseph - anyone know?

Joseph had a son named Arthur who was also a painter. Probably that's him, though I didn't know that he had married into Ruskin's family.
Sid13

Postby Raphael » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:51 pm

Maureen wrote:Thanks for the link Raphael. You can still hear the radio interview with Sue Brown - it's up on the BBC site here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00npjnj#synopsis
- just click on 'Listen Again' - I'm listening to it now! Not sure what the availability is for those of you outside the UK, but it's worth a try.
Edit: to avoid having to sit through the whole programme (unless you want to) the Severn discussion is the last bit of the show - starts around 33 minutes in.

My reading on the pre-Raphaelites threw up the fact that John Ruskin's cousin married an artist called Arthur Severn - surely he must have been some relation to Joseph - anyone know?

I shall listen to that sometime- using my neigbour's mobile dongle at home and don't want to use up too much of the internet time ( not sure how much it has on it).

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Life and Letters