Influences

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Influences

Postby Endymion » Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:19 pm

What do you perceive had the most influence in a literary way on keats' poetry? I have read in Andrew Motion's biography how Keats avidly read, and marked extensively in books when he wanted to hilight a particular thought or add his own. I remember seeing a copy of a page of Burton's Anatomy of Melancholy, one of his main influences, with underlining and notes everywhere.

What else influenced the man who now influences us?

Some publications that I know Keats had in his collection:

Burton's Anatomy of Melancholy
Chapman's translation of Homer
Gibbon's Rise and fall of the Roman Empire
Lempriere's Bibliotheca Classica
Andrew Took's Pantheon
John Potter's Antiquities of Ancient Greece
Dante
Boccaccio's Decameron
Milton
Shakespeare etc...

But what else, and where did he bring them out in his poetry?
I am always interested in this; the origins, the wheres and whys, I think it adds a lot more dimension when you can see how writers and poets have used other people's work in his own in a new and creative way.
"He Stood in His Shoes and he Wondered
He Wondered
He Stood in his Shoes and He Wondered."
Endymion

Response to influences

Postby LadiKeats » Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:44 pm

Well, I'm new to the world of Keats by just a year give or take being that he is the topic for my thesis in the English Major. Of what I have researched on his influences (which is probably a lot less than what you have learned) I see sensual imagery everywhere. My questions are, where did he get the inspiration for all of that besides his life's experiences? Did he get this from literary influences as well? I understand the question of what type of literary influences he had and I can't think of anymore than what you posted in your list. I, obviously, enjoy answering questions with a questions of my own. Bare with me here! :wink:

~Jen :wink:
"I think every fiction writer, to a certain extent is a schizophrenic... with one, or two, or even ten voices in their heads. We seek, through our profession, to put those voices down on to paper." Ridley Pearson August 2000 Writers Digest
LadiKeats

Return to Life and Letters