Keats snippets

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Keats snippets

Postby Raphael » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:22 pm

I borrowed a book called The Age of Elegance 1812-1822 ( by Arthur Bryant, 1950, reprinted 1975) from the library and it mentions our dear poet a few times. Here's some things I hadn't come across before:

Keats at Naples felt unable to visit the opera because of the guards on stage. "The continual visible tyranny of this Government prevents me having any piece of mind," he wrote , "I could not lie quietly here; I will not even leave my bones in the midst of this despotism." (page 256)

The author coments on the energy of the English which he calls "heroic"- "Even the gentle Charles Lamb, rusticating at Dalston, walked every morning into the Temple to get shaved, while Keats- a consumptive-tramped six hundred miles in a month through the highlands, rising always before dawn to complete twenty miles by noon."
(page 301)

(On boxing matches)

A contest between two "milling coves" was the most popular specatcle in the country. Its finer points were debated, not only by draymen and coal -heavers but by men of culture; Keats, describing the match between Randall and Turner, illustrated its ups and downs by rapping with his fingers on the window.
(page 265)
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Life and Letters