Leviathan

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Leviathan

Postby Raphael » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:34 pm

I had noticed that John likened himself to a Leviathan in his letters and wondered what that was. I thought it was something from the Bible and I was correct-but I assumed it was some group of people or something like that- it's not! It's a sea monster!!! I cannot fathom why he would liken himself to a sea monster- I cannot see any similarity! He has me baffled on that one.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: Leviathan

Postby Cybele » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:20 pm

Raphael wrote:I had noticed that John likened himself to a Leviathan in his letters and wondered what that was. I thought it was something from the Bible and I was correct-but I assumed it was some group of people or something like that- it's not! It's a sea monster!!! I cannot fathom why he would liken himself to a sea monster- I cannot see any similarity! He has me baffled on that one.

I'm taking a guess here, but I'd say he was referring to a whale, rather than a sea monster. Again, I guess you could envision a whale moseying through its waters, snacking on krill and fish and luxuriating in a warm sea.

That said, the few whales I've encountered in my life didn't exactly mosey. :D
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:56 pm

]I'm taking a guess here, but I'd say he was referring to a whale, rather than a sea monster. Again, I guess you could envision a whale moseying through its waters, snacking on krill and fish and luxuriating in a warm sea.

That makes more sense- as the context of the comparison seemed to indicate he was talking about being slothful, having a break from work as it were! I can be pleased he likened himself to a whale- whales are magnifcent creatures. I am fond of them.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:49 pm

Raphael wrote:
]I'm taking a guess here, but I'd say he was referring to a whale, rather than a sea monster. Again, I guess you could envision a whale moseying through its waters, snacking on krill and fish and luxuriating in a warm sea.

That makes more sense- as the context of the comparison seemed to indicate he was talking about being slothful, having a break from work as it were! I can be pleased he likened himself to a whale- whales are magnifcent creatures. I am fond of them.

I think they're more than magnificent! I believe they're sentient, have a culture and a sort of language. I think they try to interact with humans. I don't believe I'm anthropomorphizing them. I do think the two species are different enough from one another that we may never completely understand each other.

And who knows -- maybe humpback songs are their poetry. :!:
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:45 pm

I think they're more than magnificent! I believe they're sentient, have a culture and a sort of language. I think they try to interact with humans. I don't believe I'm anthropomorphizing them. I do think the two species are different enough from one another that we may never completely understand each other.

And who knows -- maybe humpback songs are their poetry. :!:

Oh indeed- all animals are sentient. Cetaceans are the most intelligent creatures on earth after humans, followed by apes.
Dolphins communicate much faster than us- it's said to be in some kind of heiroglyph. They see in ultrasound and some have acted as midwives to women giving birth in the sea!

Yes, their songs could be their sonnets! I have read that their songs change and those of the 1960s were their most beautiful.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Life and Letters