New publication - Keats' Medcial notebook [Fixed link]

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

New publication - Keats' Medcial notebook [Fixed link]

Postby Saturn » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:24 pm

"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Re: New publication - Keats' Medcial notebook [Fixed link]

Postby Cybele » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:41 pm

Saturn, I have a photocopy of the "Anatomical and Physiological Note Book." (Printed from the holograph in the Keats Museum Hampstead, Edited by Maurice Buxton Forman, Oxford University Press, 1934.)
About 30 years ago, I photocopied the book at the local university library. If you're interested, I could try PDFing it and send it to you.
I was surprised the original is so very tiny that, in spite of Keats's ridiculously tidy and legible handwriting, I could only make out a couple of words viewing the book through its display case.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:00 pm

Many thanks for the offer but I think I'll just watch this book and keep looking and soon as I can find a copy at an affordable price I'll get it then.

It is definitely a side of Keats life that strangely is not really delved into as much as perhaps it should be in the major biographies.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Cybele » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:07 pm

The notebook transcription was a bit of a disappointment for me. A short remark about the Patriot Koscuisko is often the only thing in biographies that's mentioned. (Altho' that did prompt me to read a biography of the general and visit a small college art museum that has a small Benjamin West painting of Koscuisko.)

It does give some insight to the poet's thoughts, but those flashes of insight are pretty darn rare! I supposed shouldn't have expected too much -- this is, after all, a notebook.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Return to Keats around the world