Keats House Reopening April 2003

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Keats House Reopening April 2003

Postby Endymion » Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:33 pm

Keats' house in Hampstead, London is now opening in April this year after being closed for repairs. If you're in London I should think this is a very worthwhile place to go.

http://www.keatshouse.org.uk/

The Corporation of London who looks after the house has stated on it's website that a number of essential repairs are taking place. They've also said that there when it reopens there will be new rooms open to the public, and an extra exhibit on Fanny Brawne:

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/leisure_ ... /index.htm

There will reportedly be events held at the property at Easter to celebrate the re-opening.
"He Stood in His Shoes and he Wondered
He Wondered
He Stood in his Shoes and He Wondered."
Endymion

Thank you

Postby Claire » Mon Apr 07, 2003 1:18 pm

I will hopefully try and get my english class and myself down to London.....Thank You Endymion.
8)
La Belle Dame Sans Merci.
Claire

Postby Endymion » Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:29 pm

There's now a programme of events up for the opening festivities:

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/leisure_ ... events.htm

I'm really looking forward to going! It sounds like they're making an effort for younger ones as well; should be very good; and events will be held there every Wednesday evening throughout the summer for anyone who can make it.

Claire, if you do get to go & visit with your class, write & let us know what it was like. It's quite a way from Liverpool, though!
He Wondered
Endymion

Postby Endymion » Sat May 24, 2003 10:13 pm

I did manage to get to Keats House on the Sunday after it had opened; and it is truly a place to visit (if you are in the country!). I was amazed even to walk down the garden path towards the house, and look inside the windows to the house; breathtaking.

I walked around the house, admiring the way it was built to look like a continental villa and less like the two houses as it was originally built.

The tour of the building started in the room that was added by the colourful charachter who lived in the house after Keats and Charles Brown - I can't remember her name !! Anybody here know? (if you see pictures of the front of the house, the addition is on the left with the chimney). The door leading to the rest of the house from that room would originally have been the front door of the second dwelling in the building.

The hallway I walked down opened onto a small sitting-room that was Keats' (adorned very well with copies of books and artefacts he owned and his life and death masks, opposite another sitting room that was Brown's, and steps down to the basement where there was a kitchen.

There is only one staircase remaining to the first floor bedrooms, where the Friends of Keats House have recently had a replica of Keats' bed made and put in his old room. The new display of Fanny Brawne's belongings (and there are quite a lot of them to view) was really poignant, especially since each object served as a memory to me of the love they shared and the tragedy of it's end.

The way the Corporation has done the house makes me think I could well imagine Keats sitting there serenely reading, or sneaking next door to see Fanny when he could risk it, on how he must have walked away from the house without a second glance.

A magical experience, just to have been there. Congratulations to the dedicated team whose enthusiasm keeps the house lively and interesting, well-kept and in good repair, the Friends of Keats House and the Corporation of London.
He Wondered
Endymion

Return to Keats around the world