The Keats-Shelley House in Rome

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: The Keats-Shelley House in Rome

Postby harvest » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:43 pm

wow. wow. wow. all those books! beautiful.
Now a soft kiss - Aye, by that kiss, I vow an endless bliss. ~ j. keats
harvest

Postby shauna76 » Sat May 01, 2010 7:24 pm

Hi everyone!
I'm a new member here. :)

I really like this forum, just what I was looking for, there is so many news and original and rare material.
Last year I visited the Keats and Shelley House for the first time. It just made me cry. Keats' room is really tiny, though full of light.
αυrα

❦❧ α thιпg σƒ βєαυtỷ ιs α įσy ƒσrєvєr ❦❧
shauna76

Postby Saturn » Sat May 01, 2010 8:16 pm

Welcome Shauna, hope you like the forum.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby shauna76 » Sat May 01, 2010 8:58 pm

Thanks, Saturn! I surely do. :)
I forgot to introduce me with my real name, I'm sorry. :P
My name is Laura and I'm Italian, nice to meet you all! :)
αυrα

shauna76

Postby Saturn » Sat May 01, 2010 9:59 pm

Ah benvenuto in that case.
My Italian is very rusty, but I remember when I was in the Keats-Shelley house seeing copies of Keats in Italian, and reading a bit of it.

Can I ask you did you first read Kats in Italian, or English, (your profile says you are a translator) and which do you prefer?

How is Keats regarded in Italy?
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Sun May 02, 2010 12:09 am

Welcome Laura! You write very good English- I only know a few Italian words! Yes, I too, would be interested to know how John is regarded in Italy- is his poetry studied at school and college? ( either translation or in English)
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby shauna76 » Sun May 02, 2010 12:54 am

Saturn wrote:Ah benvenuto in that case.

Grazie Saturn and Raphael! :)
Saturn wrote:Can I ask you did you first read Kats in Italian, or English, (your profile says you are a translator) and which do you prefer?

I've read Keats' works in English first, then some works translated in Italian.
I generally read only texts in English, because I find it easier for me, even though I'm not an English native speaker.
As far as Keats concerns, I've recently decided to write the Italian subtitles for Bright Star (the movie) just for my pleasure and for some friends of mine who longed to see it. Well, I've chosen to translate the poems that Ben Whishaw recites by keeping the rhymes and the original structure. So far, the few Italian translations available of Keats' poems are very good, but the verse is free. To me, this has become a more and more difficult task each day. I'm currently on the Ode to a Nightingale, which is recited at the end credits, and some bits are really hard to keep in rhymes. The result has been: I've found myself crying in front of the laptop screen. That is, the Italian translation got me into a deeper 'level' of the poem. But this doesn't happen with any author. That's why I've fallen deeply in love with Keats' poetry. :)
Saturn wrote:How is Keats regarded in Italy?

Unfortunately very little, and only by academics or buffs. Very few words are spent for him, too many for others such as Jane Austen, or Byron.
As for my town (Rome), last year I joined the "Friends of the Non-Catholic Cemetery" association here in Rome after I visited Keats' grave there. I translate their Newsletter, this is a way for me to be closer to Keats and his poetry. I don't know whether you've heard of it or not, anyway, we are all volunteers. Most of them manage the visitor center of the cemetery, the guided tours and others keep a small library updated with the biographies of most of the remarkable people buried there, Keats and Shelley included. A biography on Severn is currently being completed to be added to the library.
So this is really sad to say, but if it weren't for volunteers, independent scholars, and few academics, I guess nobody in Italy would know about Keats, or would just forget about him after high school, when fortunately we have the chance to 'meet' him for the first time. :(

P.S. Sorry for my off topic. :P
Last edited by shauna76 on Sun May 02, 2010 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
αυrα

shauna76

Postby Raphael » Sun May 02, 2010 1:29 am

Hello Laura.
Yes, I can imagine the rhymes is lost if the poems are translated.You are very good to do the translation of Bright Star!
I'm glad you like his poems!

Saturn wrote:How is Keats regarded in Italy?

Unfortunately very little, and only by academics or buffs. Very few words are spent for him, too many for others such as Jane Austen, or Byron.

Well shamefully few people today here in England know of him, unless they are studying literature at university or are older and like poetry.
But I think he is more well known now because of the film.

As for my town (Rome), last year I joined the "Friends of the Non-Catholic Cemetery" association here in Rome after I visited Keats' grave there. I translate their Newsletter, this is a way for me to be closer to Keats and his poetry. I don't know whether you've heard of it or not, anyway, we are all volunteers. Most of them manage the visitor center of the cemetery, the guided tours and others keep a small library updated with the biographies of most of the remarkable people buried there, Keats and Shelley included. A biography on Severn is currently being completed to be added to the library.
So this is really sad to say, but if it weren't for volunteers, independent scholars, and few academics, I guess nobody in Italy would know about Keats, or would just forget about him after high school. :(

Wow- that is lovely that people volunteer to do this! I would love to see your newsletter!
You are very kind to do it.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Tue May 04, 2010 1:36 am

I hope you like it here, Shauna!

I'm more than a little jealous of your location -- and you're a volunteer for the Non-Catholic Cemetery, too!
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby shauna76 » Tue May 04, 2010 4:18 pm

Raphael wrote:Wow- that is lovely that people volunteer to do this! I would love to see your newsletter!
You are very kind to do it.

I think that they're going to post the texts of all but the most recent issue of the Newsletter on their new website. As soon as they'll be online I'll tell you here.

Cybele wrote:I hope you like it here, Shauna!

I'm more than a little jealous of your location -- and you're a volunteer for the Non-Catholic Cemetery, too!

Hi Cybele, I do. :)
It's wonderful to have such a community dedicated entirely to Keats on the internet... and I've joined it only now! Better late than never... :?
As for my location and the cemetery... Yes, I feel very close to Keats (and Shelley), though sometimes I'd like to live everywhere else, for various non-poetic reasons. :) You know, the grass is always greener on the other side. I wish I was in London to visit Keats' house in Hampstead. I've been to London several times but never had the chance to. :roll:
αυrα

shauna76

Postby Malia » Tue May 04, 2010 4:59 pm

Welcome to the forum, Laura :) I think it's so wonderful that you are helping to keep the cemetery "alive"! I read a while back that the cemetery was in danger of becoming dilapidated (mostly due to modern pollution) and they were trying to raise money to keep the cemetery operational. I'm glad there is a group dedicated to this. Thank you from all of us Keatsians around the world. :) I've been to Keats House in London twice but I've never been to Rome, so have never seen the Keats-Shelley Memorial Museum or the Protestant Cemetery. (Someday!)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby harvest » Wed May 05, 2010 1:33 am

welcome laura! i am new as well, and am quite taken w/ our keats <3

rome is lovely!
Now a soft kiss - Aye, by that kiss, I vow an endless bliss. ~ j. keats
harvest

Postby shauna76 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:28 am

Hello Malia and harvest,

nice to meet you. :)

The Cemetery is entirely self-supporting. I feel proud to help as I can, because it's an important vector of culture, tradition and history. As far as Keats concerns, his grave (and that of Severn next to it) is very well maintained. It's in the quiet corner of the so called "zona antica" (ancient zone) of the cemetery, and it always has some flowers and some letters/notes left. The flowers that grow there are the same that Severn described to Keats after a visit. There is a bench just in front of it for people to sit and spend some time praying and thinking. Oscar Wilde too wrote a poem about Keats' grave, but at the moment I can't remember whether he had visited it or not. :roll:

It is a quiet, beautiful place. :)
αυrα

shauna76

Postby Raphael » Thu May 06, 2010 3:51 pm

shauna76 wrote:Hello Malia and harvest,

nice to meet you. :)

The Cemetery is entirely self-supporting. I feel proud to help as I can, because it's an important vector of culture, tradition and history. As far as Keats concerns, his grave (and that of Severn next to it) is very well maintained. It's in the quiet corner of the so called "zona antica" (ancient zone) of the cemetery, and it always has some flowers and some letters/notes left. The flowers that grow there are the same that Severn described to Keats after a visit. There is a bench just in front of it for people to sit and spend some time praying and thinking. Oscar Wilde too wrote a poem about Keats' grave, but at the moment I can't remember whether he had visited it or not. :roll:

It is a quiet, beautiful place. :)

I found your post very moving- it pleases me to know John's grave is taken care of and he gets flowers and notes left there.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Thu May 06, 2010 3:53 pm

I think that they're going to post the texts of all but the most recent issue of the Newsletter on their new website. As soon as they'll be online I'll tell you here.

Oh thank you- I would love to read it!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

PreviousNext

Return to Keats around the world