Keats one man show

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Keats one man show

Postby Bill » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:46 pm

I need a bit of help here.

Back in the late 70s and the 80s I remember a gentleman actor touring the US with a one man show of Keats life and works. I believe his first name was Mark.

Does anyone remember his show...his last name?

And if he is still performimng?

Thanks!

Bill
Bill

Postby Saturn » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:42 am

Well that's a bit before my time but it sounds interesting :shock:

Sorry I can be of no help to you.

:(
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:37 am

I don't recall a Keats one-man show. . .but I have seen a one-man Shakespeare show. . .an actor dressed as Shakespeare in his older years talked about his life and works and then answered questions from the audience. It was fun :)

I wonder, if you (that is, anyone reading this message) were to play an author in a one-person show, who would you portray? Who would you like to make live again--and who do you think you could "pull off" in a performance?

As for me, I think I would portray Charlotte Bronte :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Bill » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:12 am

Actually, you've described this Keats show exactly. I had the pleasure of seeing it twice.

2 or 3 acts, as I recall....the actor read some of Keats' work, intermingling some thoughts of what he (Keats) was thinking, feeling etc...

Even did a death bed scene.
Bill

Postby Malia » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:45 am

Cool! Wish I'd seen it. Only, I have to ask. . .was the guy who played Keats ancient? (As in, was he older than 30?) It makes me crazy to see old guys playing Keats--it's like making Othello a white guy or seeing someone drive a car in during a period movie set in the 18th century. . .it just totally ruins the whole "feel". Part of what makes Keats so amazing is his *youth* and when they take that away, well. . .sheesh! :roll:

Boy, I'm in a bit of a mood tonight, aren't I? :lol:
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Bill » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:00 am

Malia,

I don't recall him being ancient. Probably 30 or younger. Slight build....met him after the shows and I'm guessing he was no taller than 5'6'.

Now that I think about it, he certainly wouldn't be doing the show now, age-wise.

Your post reminds me of a chariot race scene in Ben-Hur...a long shot of the colisium....and in the distance, cars on a freeway.
Bill

Re: Keats one man show

Postby dks » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:32 pm

aquarius11 wrote:I need a bit of help here.

Back in the late 70s and the 80s I remember a gentleman actor touring the US with a one man show of Keats life and works. I believe his first name was Mark.

Does anyone remember his show...his last name?

And if he is still performimng?

Thanks!

Bill

Hello, aquarius, there's a man named Paul Harris who does something like it now...a one man stage show simply called Keats. I don't know if it is the same act, but it is much more recent...he tours and performs it across the country. The info I obtained on it is here:

http://www.wpi.edu/News/TechNews/951107/Keats.html
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Return to Keats around the world