Keats and Art at Ole Miss

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Keats and Art at Ole Miss

Postby Malia » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:06 pm

I just found a cool webpage that you all might be interested in. It is part of a college course. The professor has the students look at a painting related to Keats, and then asks a question. Here's one example that I found fascinating.

The professor has you look at the following picture:

Then the professor asks:
Joseph Severn drew this sketch of Keats as he nursed the poet just hours before Keats died. Severn made the sketch in an attempt to occupy himself while watching over the dying man. Again consider how Severn's art idealizes and immortalizes the poet and remember how Keats' poetry questions art's ability to triumph over time and capture human experience for eternity--ironically in this sketch the writer is immortalized at the very moment of his destruction. Is art victorious or ineffectual in the face of death and decay?

What do you think? Did art triumph in this picture?

The webpage where this and other questions can be found is:
http://www.olemiss.edu/courses/engl309/keatsart.html

P.S. The professor had some misinformation--in that Severn didn't draw the picture just hours before Keats died. . .but about a month before his death.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:52 am

:shock: Isn't he so very beautiful in that portrait? :( :shock:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:14 am

I suppose if you get off on near-necrophila yes...
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Return to Keats around the world