Celebrating Keats's upcoming birthday

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Celebrating Keats's upcoming birthday

Postby jesleeall » Sat May 01, 2010 2:11 pm

I had an idea and I don't know if it's a good one or a bad one.
I'm a newcomer to the forum and a recent returnee to my love of Keats, and I've immersed myself recently in biographies and his letters. Like, I'm sure, all of you, I've been so moved by his life story and his wonderful letters have made him so real to me, almost as if he's a personal friend. I've found myself thinking about him quite a bit, and one thought that has occurred to me as I've brooded over his early death is that people are still dying from TB all over the world. There are young people still dying from it.
Knowing that Keats was always, at heart, a healer, and had a lifelong desire to do some good in the world, and had the wish that his poetry would be a force for healing and good, I've thought that one very good way to express admiration and love for John Keats would be to do something good in his honor.
Would the people of this forum be interested in joining with me to organize an effort to raise money to fight TB in the honor of John Keats?
I only have a rough idea right now, and I've never done anything like this before, but it could work something like this: We could organize it around his next birthday, and contact any group or person we can think of to help us raise money. I could e-mail professors at universities who teach Romantic poetry and ask them to spearhead efforts at their schools. Kids could have poetry readings (poetry slams?) or screenings of the movie "Bright Star"during the last week of October, or on October 31st. We could ask Keats house to hold an event, and the Keats-Shelley house in Rome. We could choose one organization for the donations to be sent to, ear-marked "in memory of John Keats"...perhaps the American Lung Association...and ask them to funnel the money directly to the fight against TB.
This might not be a very good idea...but, on the other hand, maybe it might work. Maybe we could raise a substantial sum of money in John Keats's name. I can't think of a better way to express our love for him.
Please let me know what you think. Would you be interested in helping? Do you have ideas? Would you want to do this as a group associated with this web-site?
Thanks for plowing through this long message!
jesleeall

Re: Celebrating Keats's upcoming birthday

Postby Malia » Sat May 01, 2010 2:34 pm

I think it is a great idea jesleeall! I don't know how widespread it might end up being--some of the things you suggest would require considerable planning and organizational leadership . . . but the kernel of your idea is excellent. I think it would be fabulous to raise awareness and $$ to fight TB. This disease is especially oppressive in parts of Africa and in other "developing" areas; but I know it is also making a comeback in "developed" countries. In fact, I work with the nursing education program at a University (I'm not a nurse, just a program assistant) and one of the professors told me that, in her private practice as a nurse practitioner, she recently examined a student just returned from Central America who she believes contracted TB. So it is definitely around. Not to mention XTB and XXTB--which are so difficult to treat and sometimes are fatal.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Sun May 02, 2010 12:12 am

I think it is a wonderful idea and one he would be so moved by your wanting to do it in his name. I don't know how I could help though- I am hopeless at such things.I don't live anywhere near Keats House or any places he lived at/stayed at. I'm not at university either. If I can help I will.
I was fortunate to be vaccinated against TB when I was 13.I still have the scar and sometimes look at it and think of him- and wish he had had this available to him, and of course other people across the world.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Sun May 02, 2010 12:23 pm

I echo all that's been said, and these ideas are wonderful, I wish there was something I could do to help, not just for TB or other illnesses but all the problems of the world today, sometimes I feel like life is just too intense, there's just too much suffering and pain and anguish in the world to take in, and I'm ashamed to say all I can do is try and live my own life which is difficult enough and try and help those I know around me in little ways that might make a difference. It's moral cowardice, and resignation I know, but I feel helpless, even to change, or better my own life, the thought of trying to deal with much larger issues just seems too much to bear.

I applaud to the skies your wonderful idea and if there's anything you think we here at the Keats forum could do by all means let us know.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Sun May 02, 2010 10:05 pm

Saturn, you have no "moral cowardice" as you put it- the little things you do mean a lot to the people you can help. I feel as you do at times, so I do what I can- even if it is something "small" like feeding the little song birds when it was snowy (I feed them all year round but gave them extra food this winter)- just saving one little bird from starving was big to that little creature.So little is never really little. :D

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Mon May 03, 2010 4:38 pm

I'm with Raphael on this one. In fact, your reply to Saturn's post reminded me of a poem, Raphael :)

I Shall Not Live In Vain
Emily Dickinson

If I can stop one Heart from breaking
I shall not live in vain
If I can ease one Life the Aching
Or cool one Pain
Or help one fainting Robin
Unto his Nest again
I shall not live in Vain.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby harvest » Mon May 03, 2010 6:03 pm

if the idea takes off, let me know!

:)
Now a soft kiss - Aye, by that kiss, I vow an endless bliss. ~ j. keats
harvest

Postby Raphael » Mon May 03, 2010 8:28 pm

The Robin poem was sweet Malia!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Tue May 04, 2010 1:21 am

*What a beautiful and kind idea!*

I would love to see this take off, but I certainly wouldn't know where to start.

Getting something like this going takes a great deal of organizational skill!
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Ennis » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:22 pm

jesleeall wrote:I had an idea and I don't know if it's a good one or a bad one.
I'm a newcomer to the forum and a recent returnee to my love of Keats, and I've immersed myself recently in biographies and his letters. Like, I'm sure, all of you, I've been so moved by his life story and his wonderful letters have made him so real to me, almost as if he's a personal friend. I've found myself thinking about him quite a bit, and one thought that has occurred to me as I've brooded over his early death is that people are still dying from TB all over the world. There are young people still dying from it.
Knowing that Keats was always, at heart, a healer, and had a lifelong desire to do some good in the world, and had the wish that his poetry would be a force for healing and good, I've thought that one very good way to express admiration and love for John Keats would be to do something good in his honor.
Would the people of this forum be interested in joining with me to organize an effort to raise money to fight TB in the honor of John Keats?
I only have a rough idea right now, and I've never done anything like this before, but it could work something like this: We could organize it around his next birthday, and contact any group or person we can think of to help us raise money. I could e-mail professors at universities who teach Romantic poetry and ask them to spearhead efforts at their schools. Kids could have poetry readings (poetry slams?) or screenings of the movie "Bright Star"during the last week of October, or on October 31st. We could ask Keats house to hold an event, and the Keats-Shelley house in Rome. We could choose one organization for the donations to be sent to, ear-marked "in memory of John Keats"...perhaps the American Lung Association...and ask them to funnel the money directly to the fight against TB.
This might not be a very good idea...but, on the other hand, maybe it might work. Maybe we could raise a substantial sum of money in John Keats's name. I can't think of a better way to express our love for him.
Please let me know what you think. Would you be interested in helping? Do you have ideas? Would you want to do this as a group associated with this web-site?
Thanks for plowing through this long message!

Jesleeall:

It is a great idea, and one we all know Keats would appreciate! I know your post is several months old, but I just read it today. It's a coincidence -- or predestination. . .? that I reread The Fall of Hyperion: A Dream last night. You know - his conversation with Moneta and his realization that he can heal man through his poetry; that he has the "right stuff" for that most noble cause he so wanted to achieve.

" 'Are there not thousands in the world,' said I,
Encouraged by the sooth voice of the shade,
'Who love there fellows even to the death;
Who feel the giant agony of the world;
And more, like slaves to poor humanity,
Labour for mortal good? I sure should see
Other men here: but I am here alone.'
'They whom thou spak'st of are no visionaries,'
Rejoined that voice -- 'They are no dreamers weak,
They seek no wonder but the human face;
No music but a happy-noted voice --
They come not here, they have no thought to come --
And thou art here. . .' "

"And do by turns -- till sad Moneta cried:
'The sacrifice is done, but not the less (my bold-faced type)
Will I be kind to thee for thy godwill.
My power, which to me is still a curse,
Shall be to thee a wonder; for the scenes
Still swooning vivid through my globed brain,
With an electral changing misery,
Thou shalt with those dull mortal eyes behold,
Free from all pain, if wonder pain thee not.'

And then when Keats, the dreamer-poet, requests to see Moneta's face and she lifts her veil and shows him,

"I ached to see what things the hollow brain
behind enwombed; what high tragedy
In the dark secret chambers of her skull
Was acting, that could give so dread a stress
To her cold lips, and fill with such a light
Her planetary eyes; and touch her voice
With such a sorrow -- 'Shade of Memory!'
Cried I, . . .,
'By all the gloom hung round thy fallen house,
. . . ,
Let me behold, according as thou said'st,
What in thy brain so ferments to and fro.'
. . .
. . . Whereon there grew
A power within me of enormous ken
To see as a God sees
. . ." (again, my bold-faced type)

Pardon for the rambling (Great Mother Goddess, that poem is sheer genius. . . ), but I thought it best to let Keats "speak" for us all. We should all do as you suggested; however, since Keats's birthday draws to hand quickly, can't we each donate what we can to the American Lung Association with the stipulation it be directed toward tuberculosis research -- and that the donation be in honour of John Keats?

A side note that adds a more than just a touch of irony to The fall of Hyperion; at the point (in his life) when Keats realizes he CAN compose poetry that, instead of "vexes," will, instead, "pour out a balm upon the world, he's dead in about a year and a half. . . Shit, we lost so much . . .
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:41 pm

I LOVE The Fall of Hyperion- it is magical, moving and magnificent! I wish he had been able to finish it- it is a masterpiece.
I'd love to be able to donate to a TB cause but I'm unemployed and moving house soon. I can do it next year tho.
Aside- I celebrated his birthday last year by lighting a candle in front of his portrait and put a nectarine there as he loved them!
Maybe I'll get him a card this year as well.. :lol:

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:25 am

Ennis wrote: A side note that adds a more than just a touch of irony to The fall of Hyperion; at the point (in his life) when Keats realizes he CAN compose poetry that, instead of "vexes," will, instead, "pour out a balm upon the world, he's dead in about a year and a half. . .

Yes, Ennis, I wholeheartedly agree. "The Fall of Hyperion" is so powerful, so beautiful, so wonderfully breathtaking, it's heartbreaking to think about what we lost just when our poet reached the apex of his powers. While it's a shame that we lost so much, it's a real blessing that we have the fragments of "Hyperion" and "The Fall. . ."

And speaking of pouring out a balm upon the world -- I would so loved to have seen Keats pursue the healing power of poetry. I'm fascinated by the concept and deep down I feel that this is healing power is more than metaphorical.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Cybele » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:06 am

Raphael wrote:I LOVE The Fall of Hyperion- it is magical, moving and magnificent! I wish he had been able to finish it- it is a masterpiece.
I'd love to be able to donate to a TB cause but I'm unemployed and moving house soon. I can do it next year tho.
Aside- I celebrated his birthday last year by lighting a candle in front of his portrait and put a nectarine there as he loved them!
Maybe I'll get him a card this year as well.. :lol:

The nectarine is a lovely idea, Raphael. And so close to Dia de los Muertos. I think I'll follow your example and add some marigolds, too. The flower is said to attract the spirits of the dead to the food set out for them by their loving families. (IMO, this is a beautiful Mexican & Mexican-American custom that's often misunderstood by people up here in the north.)

(um. Sorry for the digression. The above was straying a bit off-topic.)
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby jesleeall » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:52 pm

Well, I had sort of abandoned the idea because I'm just a housewife with no contacts and no experience of raising money, and I couldn't think of how to start a money raising campaign. But if others of you are truly interested in this idea, I think we should do SOMETHING.

I had a wild idea when I was walking my dog this morning, and it went something like this:
A representative from the forum writes to Andrew Motion and explains our aims and asks for his help. Specifically, we want to find out how to get in touch with Jane Campion who can help us get in touch with Ben Whishaw (Bright Star). Then we can ask him if he would be willing to film a very short video for the raising of money in honor of John Keats.

Why Ben Whishaw? Because he's cute as a button, and who better to be in a video that will be shown to millions of women once we talk the Oprah Winfrey show into showing the video and putting her name behind the effort. Just think...millions of Oprah lovers watching Ben Whishaw asking them to donate to a beautiful cause. What could be more effective?

Finally, we would let the American Lung Association know we have Oprah's backing, and set up a phone number where people could text a donation in. Easy! Immediately 100,000 women text $10 to the fight against TB in the name of John Keats.

Is this possible? Probably not, but wouldn't it be worth a try? We couldn't do it in time for his birthday, but we could aim for the 23rd of February - possibly a more solemn and fitting occasion for this.
Think about it, Keats Lovers! Let's be bold and dream big, just like Keats did! Why not?
I'll be waiting to hear what you think!
jesleeall

Postby Raphael » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:45 pm

Yes, Ennis, I wholeheartedly agree. "The Fall of Hyperion" is so powerful, so beautiful, so wonderfully breathtaking, it's heartbreaking to think about what we lost just when our poet reached the apex of his powers. While it's a shame that we lost so much, it's a real blessing that we have the fragments of "Hyperion" and "The Fall. . ."

I don’t think John fully realised how amazing this poem really was- it had me breathless with wonder when I first read it. It really did.

And speaking of pouring out a balm upon the world -- I would so loved to have seen Keats pursue the healing power of poetry. I'm fascinated by the concept and deep down I feel that this is healing power is more than metaphorical.

Oh it certainly is more than metaphorical. I have found his poems to be remarkably spiritual and full of beauty and wisdom and the same goes for parts of his letters.

The nectarine is a lovely idea, Raphael. And so close to Dia de los Muertos. I think I'll follow your example and add some marigolds, too. The flower is said to attract the spirits of the dead to the food set out for them by their loving families. (IMO, this is a beautiful Mexican & Mexican-American custom that's often misunderstood by people up here in the north.)

(um. Sorry for the digression. The above was straying a bit off-topic.)

Which Marigold is in this rite?- there are many types. I like the African ones- each summer they get planted by the local park and they always remind me of big yellow smiley suns.

I like your idea jesleeall- but some of us don't live in the USA- I am in Britain and perhaps some of us here could see if Guy's Hospital might be interested in something to do with this or a TB charity in Britain.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Next

Return to Keats around the world