Celebrating Keats's upcoming birthday

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Celebrating Keats's upcoming birthday

Postby catlover » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:59 pm

My mother recently passed away this year of TB. (A non contagious strain) So I am all for it.Please keep me informed on this ideal.I think it sounds it sounds like a great way to honor him and honor my mother too.
catlover
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:14 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Celebrating Keats's upcoming birthday

Postby Raphael » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:29 pm

Sorry to hear about your mother catlover. x
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
User avatar
Raphael
Milton
 
Posts: 1845
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:10 pm
Location: wandering Keats' poetry

Re: Celebrating Keats's upcoming birthday

Postby catlover » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:56 pm

Thank you Raphael.It was awful to see what she went through even with our modern medical help.I thought of Keats the whole time she was suffering and I can't imagine what he suffered.I really hope that this ideal becomes a reality.
catlover
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:14 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Celebrating Keats's upcoming birthday

Postby Raphael » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:19 pm

catlover wrote:Thank you Raphael.It was awful to see what she went through even with our modern medical help.I thought of Keats the whole time she was suffering and I can't imagine what he suffered.I really hope that this ideal becomes a reality.


I hope your mother got some relief from the medical help. Even today TB is hard to treat with some strains. Joseph Severn's accounts make harrowing reading.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
User avatar
Raphael
Milton
 
Posts: 1845
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:10 pm
Location: wandering Keats' poetry

Re: Celebrating Keats's upcoming birthday

Postby catlover » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:49 pm

I identify with with Severn's situation.I had nurses,doctors and social workers to help me but he was practically on his own except for a few people who relieved him every now and then.My mother had medication and pain patches to help her suffer less but she still suffered a great deal.She went from 115 to 76 pounds.Thank you for caring.I appreciate it.This subject means a lot to me.
catlover
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:14 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Celebrating Keats's upcoming birthday

Postby Raphael » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:13 pm

catlover wrote:I identify with with Severn's situation.I had nurses,doctors and social workers to help me but he was practically on his own except for a few people who relieved him every now and then.My mother had medication and pain patches to help her suffer less but she still suffered a great deal.She went from 115 to 76 pounds.Thank you for caring.I appreciate it.This subject means a lot to me.


It must have been a terrible time for you both. TB is a terrible disease.It doesn't bear thinking about what he went through- not even having any pain relief- like your Mother he lost lots of weight.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
User avatar
Raphael
Milton
 
Posts: 1845
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:10 pm
Location: wandering Keats' poetry

Re: Celebrating Keats's upcoming birthday

Postby Cybele » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:19 am

Marigolds? Just your garden variety (pun intended :lol: ) common marigold, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marigold_%28common%29

I've seen lots of varieties on graves in Mexican cemeteries. It's a beautiful sight. And the smell of the favorite foods of the deceased is also supposed to attract the departed loved ones. I love the way that they dead are not only remembered, but remain a cherished part of the family after their deaths.

Again, I digress. Sorry. :oops:
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
User avatar
Cybele
Calidore
 
Posts: 377
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:19 am
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Celebrating Keats's upcoming birthday

Postby Raphael » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:09 pm

Cybele wrote:Marigolds? Just your garden variety (pun intended :lol: ) common marigold, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marigold_%28common%29

I've seen lots of varieties on graves in Mexican cemeteries. It's a beautiful sight. And the smell of the favorite foods of the deceased is also supposed to attract the departed loved ones. I love the way that they dead are not only remembered, but remain a cherished part of the family after their deaths.

Again, I digress. Sorry. :oops:



The photo shows the African ones- sadly- they will be no more by October 31st...
I'll have to look in a flower shop. I have some dried British ones though (put them in home made ointments).
The tradition of honouring the "dead" is also a Celtic/Druidic one- in fact on his birthday- October 31st which is Samhain.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
User avatar
Raphael
Milton
 
Posts: 1845
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:10 pm
Location: wandering Keats' poetry

Previous

Return to Keats around the world

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests