Keats tours in Hampstead

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Keats tours in Hampstead

Postby Raphael » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:04 am

I have been looking at Hampstead on Google Earth- very interesting. I'm looking for landmarks from the map I have of how it used to be back in the Regency.It got me thinking- does Keats House ever organise walks to show people where Elm Cottage once was, the Bentley's house and so on?
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: Keats tours in Hampstead

Postby Malia » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:42 pm

I've never heard of a walk that traces where Keats and friends used to live (what a great idea!), although I think they have nature tours of the Heath--that kind of thing. The Bentley's used to live on Well Walk, which is about halfway down Downshire Hill--if you're coming down the hill on the Heath side of the street, you'd turn right onto Well Walk. I got a peek at the street at my last visit, but for some crazy reason, did not walk down the street itself--I think because it just looked like a very nice residential area. . .no feeling for what it must have looked like in Keats's day. I felt much more of a Keatsian connection while walking along the Heath.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:58 pm

I've never heard of a walk that traces where Keats and friends used to live (what a great idea!),

If only I were living nearby Keats house as I would volunteer there (even if I had a job..I would give my days off to it...)and offer to conduct such tours in the summer!! Well, Malia if I won the lottery I would keep my place up North and stay in Hampstead/Camden every summer and volunteer for Keats House.

The Bentley's used to live on Well Walk, which is about halfway down Downshire Hill--if you're coming down the hill on the Heath side of the street, you'd turn right onto Well Walk. I got a peek at the street at my last visit, but for some crazy reason, did not walk down the street itself--I think because it just looked like a very nice residential area. . .no feeling for what it must have looked like in Keats's day. I felt much more of a Keatsian connection while walking along the Heath

From looking at Well Walk on Google Earth it looks like modern houses. I suppose it 1820 it only had a few cottages/small houses. Yes, I can imagine only the Heath and Keats House retains that Keatsian feel and connection now.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Ennis » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:18 pm

Having been to Hampstead/London, I know if Keats et. al. were suddenly transported to our time, they'd be appalled at not only the change in Hampstead and London, but everything!! When I was in London last year we were going to find Guy's Hospital, as well as Keats's lodgings when he lived at Dean Street, and asked a woman manning an "information" station at The National Portrait Gallery. All we knew was that the hospital was across the Thames River and Dean Street was near the hospital. She directed us to the hospital, but said Dean Street was no longer around - something about the Tube's construction and the loss of the street. I believe that's what she said. That whole trip is such a blur now. I wish I could go back and do the things I didn't have a chance to do: Brompton Cemetery where Fanny Brawne-Keats-Lindon is buried (somehow we can't leave her out of any of this), the Keats-Jennings vault, the building that was the swan and Hoop in Moorfields. Oh, well. . . my plan is to return (and hopefully not leave) the summer of 2013. Maybe we can all meet there then and have our own Immortal Dinner or two and raise a toast to Keats (and his Circle).
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:48 pm

Having been to Hampstead/London, I know if Keats et. al. were suddenly transported to our time, they'd be appalled at not only the change in Hampstead and London, but everything!!

Almost everything...John would be very pleased at the changes in the hospitals.. :wink:

Oh, well. . . my plan is to return (and hopefully not leave) the summer of 2013. Maybe we can all meet there then and have our own Immortal Dinner or two and raise a toast to Keats (and his Circle).

I think this a capital idea!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:11 pm

I might have cash enough to venture another trip to London by 2013--it would be fun to meet up with everyone :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:46 pm

Malia wrote:I might have cash enough to venture another trip to London by 2013--it would be fun to meet up with everyone :)

I hope I will- maybe I will have a job by then and no eczema...

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Ennis » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:46 pm

Fellow Keatsians --

Let's do it, for sure!! What a pleasure it would be: to sit around a table somewhere, or better yet, on the Heath, with some bottles of claret, and cheese and all the other food accoutrements, and talk and read Keats! Just think, folks from various parts of the planet, all with different personalities, and jobs, and families - as different as could be, with one extremely important and notable exception, a thread, no a cable, a cable made from the strongest filaments known to man, that connects us all to each other: KEATS, KEATS, KEATS!!
Let's do it. In our own small way, let us share with him somehow that even though decades upon decades have passed, he is no longer just "a name writ in water"; that he IS and always will be "among the English poets"!!
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:00 am

Count me in Ennis!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Ennis » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:00 pm

Raphael --

I'm serious!! and terribly excited!! My brother and I are already looking into hostels in London, planning far enough ahead to make it a dream-come-true for the summer of 2013. I won't retire from teaching until the end of the 2012-2013 school year, and I've already set up an account with my bank to deduct a specific amount of $$$ from my paycheck that is earmarked for this plan. It's in an account that I can't touch until a specific date!! I'm getting ready, and I'm GOING!!! Everybody, come on, let's do it, for sure!! To meet you all would be great! Saturn, you're from Ireland, the north, right? and Raphael, you're from NW England, correct? Surely, you guys can "swing it"!?! Malia, you're not THAT much farther away than me (I'm from Asheville, NC - in the middle of the Blue Ridge Mountains!). What do you guys say?? Can we commit?? (damn, I sound like a cheerleader . . . !! Not to offend anyone, but that was the L*A*S*T thing I ever wanted to be in high school!! But, hey, I'm cheering for Keats! [and always will])
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:06 pm

Who knows guys, I'm in London for the odd week every three or four months a year now, it may be possible in a year or three to work something out for those interested.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Ennis » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:36 pm

Saturn --

You're in London "for the odd week every 3 or 4 months a year"? Lucky you!
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:45 am

I'm serious!! and terribly excited!! Raphael, you're from NW England, correct?

Me too Ennis. I had hoped to go this year but it is not looking likely now as I'm still unemployed, broke and have horrendous eczema. Hopefully by 2013 I will have a job and the eczema will be gone.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby dks » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:08 pm

Ennis wrote:...Maybe we can all meet there then and have our own Immortal Dinner or two and raise a toast to Keats (and his Circle).

Oh, E. I have long wanted to do just that-all of us from the beloved forum meet up and have a surreal time chatting away about our mutual love of something so stellar. It is hard, though, as it seems life is a hurry-blur for most of us at times. I could *perhaps* try to get over for just such a planned event...it would take much nudging of my bank account...I wonder if we all met somewhere in the middle...somewhere in the foams of the Atlantic?!

But-let's not forget we do have webcams, instant messaging and the like...we could do something of a cyber-meeting...?
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Raphael » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:44 pm

Well if anyone ever wishes to IM me let me know and I'll PM you my IM.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Next

Return to Keats around the world