Event at Keats' House - 31 July 2010

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Event at Keats' House - 31 July 2010

Postby Ennis » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:37 pm

Oh, Toots! You are SO lucky! To live in London and to be able to visit The House whenever you could!! Oh, I would trade places with you in a heartbeat! I would seriously give up my job; I would gladly put 3000 miles between myself and the good ol' USA. Needless to say (but, obviously, I'm saying it!), it would be difficult to separate myself from my family, especially my kids and my grandson, but, hey! they're welcome to come along!! Even if they didn't, they would certainly understand, especially my son. Jeez, I live in a fantasy world that will probably result in my undoing -- eventually.
Do I (hopefully?) sound sane . . . ?

I'd like to have a transcript of that play, as well. I'd like to know if you receive a response (to your email request) from The House; I had emailed them several months ago (April, I believe) requesting information concerning the transcript of a particular lecture by some professor (a Dr. Livesley [sp?], I think). The subject was something about Keats's facial deformity inherited from his dad. This topic so intrigued me -- I mean, WHAT facial deformity was he referring to, anyway?? And how did he know about Keats inheriting anything from his dad?? So little is known about Thomas Keats. If I couldn't be there to hear his lecture, I wanted to at least be able to read what (bullsh*t) this guy had to say. Anyway, back to my original point: I never got an answer back. Consequently, I searched this professor on-line in hopes of some success there, but unfortunately, no luck.
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:54 pm

I had emailed them several months ago (April, I believe) requesting information concerning the transcript of a particular lecture by some professor (a Dr. Livesley [sp?], I think). The subject was something about Keats's facial deformity inherited from his dad. This topic so intrigued me -- I mean, WHAT facial deformity was he referring to, anyway??

:shock: He must have been talking out of his bottom...er the bottom of a whiskey bottle. John Keats was anything but "deformed"- he was beautiful.Has he not seen the life mask and the portraits? :roll:

And how did he know about Keats inheriting anything from his dad?? So little is known about Thomas Keats.

Indeed!

If I couldn't be there to hear his lecture, I wanted to at least be able to read what (bullsh*t) this guy had to say.

Could you imagine you and I attending that lecture Ennis? Heckle heckle... :lol:

Anyway, back to my original point: I never got an answer back. Consequently, I searched this professor on-line in hopes of some success there, but unfortunately, no luck.

Professor Pants more like.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby toots » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:10 pm

I'm also fortunate to work quite near to Guy's Hospital where Keats trained as an apothecary and worked as a surgeon's dresser. Took advantage of the office being quieter because of the summer season to walk over there and saw quite a few interesting places associated with Keats including the statue in the hospital grounds. I shall take some photos and post them when I get a chance and when the sun finally gives up its hissy fit and decides to shine on London.

I also went on a tour led by the curator of the Herb Garret and Old Operating Theatre Museum who showed us a modern herb garden planted on the site of the burial ground of St Goerge's Church. She told us about the various herbs that people used in the days before modern medicine made antibiotics and painkillers commonplace. As an apothecary, Keats would probably have had a good knowledge of herbal remedies and how to dispense them. The area around Guy's was (and still is) a poor one and near the herb garden, you can see the surviving wall of the Marshalsea debtors' prison where Charles Dickens' parents were imprisoned and which he evoked in his novel 'Little Dorrit'.
toots

Postby Raphael » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:28 pm

I'm also fortunate to work quite near to Guy's Hospital where Keats trained as an apothecary and worked as a surgeon's dresser. Took advantage of the office being quieter because of the summer season to walk over there and saw quite a few interesting places associated with Keats including the statue in the hospital grounds. I shall take some photos and post them when I get a chance and when the sun finally gives up its hissy fit and decides to shine on London.

Lucky you seeing Guy's! Is there any of the building left he would have trained in and worked in? I look forward to your photos.

I also went on a tour led by the curator of the Herb Garret and Old Operating Theatre Museum who showed us a modern herb garden planted on the site of the burial ground of St Goerge's Church. She told us about the various herbs that people used in the days before modern medicine made antibiotics and painkillers commonplace. As an apothecary, Keats would probably have had a good knowledge of herbal remedies and how to dispense them.

That's interesting as I thought the doctors of those times didn't really use the herbs- that they were more used in folk medicine by the village women. I have always wondered why John didn't use herbal remedies for his chronic sore throat- they are more effective and much safer than Mercury.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Ennis » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:33 pm

Raphael wrote:

Lucky you seeing Guy's! Is there any of the building left he would have trained in and worked in? I look forward to your photos.

I also went on a tour led by the curator of the Herb Garret and Old Operating Theatre Museum who showed us a modern herb garden planted on the site of the burial ground of St Goerge's Church. She told us about the various herbs that people used in the days before modern medicine made antibiotics and painkillers commonplace. As an apothecary, Keats would probably have had a good knowledge of herbal remedies and how to dispense them.

That's interesting as I thought the doctors of those times didn't really use the herbs- that they were more used in folk medicine by the village women. I have always wondered why John didn't use herbal remedies for his chronic sore throat- they are more effective and much safer than Mercury.

If I'm not mistaken, according to records at Guy's Hospital, Keats did take a course in natural medicine. I believe, but I could be wrong, it was the "materia medica" course he signed up for on 02nd October 1815.

Toots, the summer of 2009, my brother and I visited London and went to Guy's Hospital to see Keats's statue there. One of the many things we wanted to do, but ran out of time, was to walk the neighbourhood around the hospital to get a "feel" for the area. We wanted to locate Keats's lodgings while he attended school there. Is No. 28 Thomas Street still there? We also wanted to go to No 24, the Pavement, Moorgate to see if the building(s?) that was once the "Swan and Hoop" is still standing. Is it, do you know? If so, have you been there? We also wanted to locate the Keats-Jennings family vault(s) (somehere, I believe, in the parish of St. Stephen, Coleman Street?). I just wonder if any of these places were damaged/destroyed during the German bombing of London during WWII. Another place on our list (that we failed to make it to) was Brompton Cemetery. I had read in Motion's biography (I think; might have been Fanny's biography) that that is where Fanny Brawne is buried. Could you find out, and if so, one day when you have the time, visit her on our behalf, take some pictures and post them on the forum for those of us who are so unfortunate not to live in London -- perhaps even leave a small posey of (wild)flowers with our respect?
Another favour to ask you to please consider: last year, on John's birthday, the folks at the Keats's House had a wreath-laying ceremony at Poets' Corner in Westminster Abbey; however, not many tickets were available because of the small space involved. Could you keep an eye out, and if the ceremony is held again this year and the tickets aren't expensive and your time allows, would you consider going? I'm sure photos aren't allowed, but an "eye-witness" account would be great. I was able to download and print the vicar's (preacher? pastor? religious leader?) prayer for Keats from last year's ceremony and have filed it safely in one of my Keats notebooks, but an account from a lover of Keats would be so much better!

Many heartfelt thanks in advance.

I've read back over this, and I so hope my post doesn't throw a negative light on me in your eyes. All of this sounds so presumptous on my part. Please feel no obligation to honour any thing that I have asked from you. Again, I so envy you -- living in such close proximity to Keats's life. . . .

My apologies to all those Keatsians who read this post and conclude trhat I must be terribly audacious. I'm not, really, I just love Keats passionately (as you all do), and have the unfortunate circumstance to live so far away (from him).
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby toots » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:54 pm

Hi Ennis

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes, I will try to follow up on your suggestions. As I work near Southwark I should be able to get some pictures of the area. There are some interesting sites there. Keats' student lodgings are now marked by a blue plaque.

The Swan and Hoop is now a pub called 'Keats at the Globe' and is close to Moorgate underground station. Again, I can walk there in my lunch hour so will try to take a photo for you. It's in a rather drab area surrounded by offices.

Brompton Cemetery is still open to the public. I looked on their website which lists the famous people buried there. They don't mention Frances Lindon, but I will check it out.

I'm not sure the church with the Keats-Jennings vault is still in existence. I can have look as Coleman Street is still there.

The ceremony at Westminster Abbey - I will make some enquiries to see what I can find out and keep you posted.
toots

Postby Ennis » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:26 pm

toots wrote:Hi Ennis

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes, I will try to follow up on your suggestions. As I work near Southwark I should be able to get some pictures of the area. There are some interesting sites there. Keats' student lodgings are now marked by a blue plaque.

The Swan and Hoop is now a pub called 'Keats at the Globe' and is close to Moorgate underground station. Again, I can walk there in my lunch hour so will try to take a photo for you. It's in a rather drab area surrounded by offices.

Brompton Cemetery is still open to the public. I looked on their website which lists the famous people buried there. They don't mention Frances Lindon, but I will check it out.

I'm not sure the church with the Keats-Jennings vault is still in existence. I can have look as Coleman Street is still there.

The ceremony at Westminster Abbey - I will make some enquiries to see what I can find out and keep you posted.

Toots,

Thanks, so much for responding so quickly!

My gosh, you can walk to what was the Swan and Hoop during your lunch hour!! Oh, to be so close. . .

You know, when I first read about Fanny's final resting place, I, too, went on the cemetery's web site and likewise, found nothing. That's why I was somewhat confused that no mention was made of Fanny's grave, especially in light of the recent interest in Keats and Fanny's relationship due to the film, "Bright Star." I KNOW I read SOMEWHERE she's buried there. Oh well, I could be mistaken. Anyway, let me (us) know what you are fortunate to find out.

Thanks, again, so much.
Ennis
Calidore

Postby toots » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:50 pm

You're very welcome. I've been meaning to try to visit some of these places in London for a while now. The other area I want to revisit with my camera is Lamb's Conduit Street which Keats mentions in a letter to his brother. He has a flirtation with Isabella Jones whom he visits at her home in Old Gloucester Street. The exact house is no longer there, but the street still exists and is near the Sir John Soane Museum which is full of antiquities which I am sure Keats would have enjoyed and appreciated.
toots

Postby Ennis » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:00 pm

toots wrote:You're very welcome. I've been meaning to try to visit some of these places in London for a while now. The other area I want to revisit with my camera is Lamb's Conduit Street which Keats mentions in a letter to his brother. He has a flirtation with Isabella Jones whom he visits at her home in Old Gloucester Street. The exact house is no longer there, but the street still exists and is near the Sir John Soane Museum which is full of antiquities which I am sure Keats would have enjoyed and appreciated.

Oh, yes! Go, and post pictures!! I've always been somewhat intrigued by Keats's "affair" (liason? acquaintance?) with the enigmatic Ms. Jones!
Ennis
Calidore

Postby BrokenLyre » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:50 pm

Ennis wrote: "My apologies to all those Keatsians who read this post and conclude that I must be terribly audacious. I'm not, really, I just love Keats passionately (as you all do), and have the unfortunate circumstance to live so far away (from him)."

Ennis - please stop apologizing - many of us feel exactly as you do!! I long for the day when I can see London and Hampstead where Keats lived. The only people I really "get" these days are those on this forum. You all make sense to me. I love your heart Ennis.

Thanks toots for all your efforts to serve the rest of us. I love every picture.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby laraffinee » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:03 am

I wonder if John Keats was trained in homeopathic pharmacy during his studies? Homepathic Mercury is an excellent remedy for sore throats and certain dental abscesses. I have prescribed it to patients and have taken it myself, and it is my own personal choice for sore throat. Homeopathy emerged in 1795 with Hahnemann's work. John Keats' apothecary and medical studies could have given him a rather sophisticated pharmacopeia.
laraffinee

Postby Raphael » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:30 am

I don't think he did use the homeopathic remedy as he described the mercury as giving him side effects and it didn't seem to help his sore throat as it kept coming back. The homeopethic one would have been better as no side effects.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:16 am

Ennis wrote:
toots wrote:You're very welcome. I've been meaning to try to visit some of these places in London for a while now. The other area I want to revisit with my camera is Lamb's Conduit Street which Keats mentions in a letter to his brother. He has a flirtation with Isabella Jones whom he visits at her home in Old Gloucester Street. The exact house is no longer there, but the street still exists and is near the Sir John Soane Museum which is full of antiquities which I am sure Keats would have enjoyed and appreciated.

Oh, yes! Go, and post pictures!! I've always been somewhat intrigued by Keats's "affair" (liason? acquaintance?) with the enigmatic Ms. Jones!

Thank you again, toots, for your photos. I would love to see where Ms Jones had her rooms. (There's probably a Starbuck's or McDonalds there now -- LOL.) Such a mellifluous name: Isabella Jones -- just her name suggests that she must have been a stunner. (I have wasted more than a few minutes thinking about what might have gone on between Ms Jones and Mr Keats. :lol: )
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby toots » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:30 pm

I have finally had a response from James Veitch the writer of 'Keats in Hampstead' regarding the purchase of the transcript of the performance. The script costs £7 and you can email James Veitch at keatsinhampstead@gmail.com. You can pay by PayPal and you are asked to add a little extra to cover postage, although I don't see why he can't just send an electronic copy. Copies are also available at Keats House.

James responded to my compliments on the event thus:

"I am most gratified that you were moved by the show; that's the highest praise I can receive as its creator. I do hope you'll be back next year for a larger show concerning all the Romantics."

Toots
toots

Previous

Return to Keats around the world