Article about Wentworth Place getting lottery money

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Article about Wentworth Place getting lottery money

Postby Raphael » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:08 pm

The writer is downright rude- she doesn't think the house and our poet deserved the money- pants to you missus!!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... se-funding

Like our John got any money to help him! And keeping the beautiful house and his things preserved does honour to a great poet and is an inspiration, nothwithstanding teaching people about the life and times of the early 1800's. There is a worrying trend in modern Britain today to do away with our history and past. You only have to read the comments to see this.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: Article about Wentworth Place getting lottery money

Postby BrokenLyre » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:18 am

The author has a point - investing in literary people today vs. investing in shrines to dead poets.... But I still disagree!!
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Ennis » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:00 pm

To put my opinion as simply as possible: She can kiss my a**.
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:45 pm

The author has a point - investing in literary people today vs. investing in shrines to dead poets.... But I still disagree!!

New writers today are not in the situation John was in- if they don't have a day job they get the dole. John had little to help him in that respect ( the kindness of his friends, and not every young writer/poet back then was so lucky to have such good friends). They don't need to do any courses or even a degree if they have talent. I think she was arguing for writing grants or something.

JK Rowling was teaching English in Spain whilst writing her Potter books (not earning much) and is now a multimillionaire- a best selling author today makes much more than those of John Keats's day. They have the advantage of a far greater number of literate people to read their works and the media to promote them. They have the potential of a global audience.
And to be honest, most of the published works today do not come up to the high standards of what was published in the nineteenth century. Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell is one exception- this is an outstanding work.

John Keats made virtually no money from his genuis and fully deserves to have his old home restored. Also, his old home does community work for literature- they have events and hold evenings etc as does Clare Cottage. What of the young people that visit the homes of poets and feel very inspired by their lives and works and go on to write themselves? That is worthwhile.

To put my opinion as simply as possible: She can kiss my a**.

Quite so Ennis!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Maureen » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:26 pm

I can understand where the writer is coming from on this, and despite there being a welfare state in place nowadays so nobody needs to rely totally on the support of friends and family, we do need more investment in the arts in general in this country.

Having said that, I visited the house for the first time since the renovations a few weeks ago with a friend who loves poetry but hadn't got 'into' Keats, and she loved the place and was inspired to read the poetry (even after having to listen to me standing in the garden reciting 'Nightingale' and enthusing over the fact that we were in the very place where it was composed...) We discussed the idea that for a literature lover visiting places associated with writers is effectively a pilgrimage, and that's very much how I feel when going to Keats House, so there is definitely a value in their preservation in my opinion.

In fact, I have decided my dream is to take over the two shops that make up the lower floor of Keats Cottage (formerly Eglantine Cottage) in Shanklin, where he stayed while on the Isle of Wight, and turn them into a small Keats Museum. Talking about Keats to interested visitors and immersing myself in his work every day would be my ideal job!
Maureen

Postby Raphael » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:39 am

I can understand where the writer is coming from on this, and despite there being a welfare state in place nowadays so nobody needs to rely totally on the support of friends and family, we do need more investment in the arts in general in this country.

Oh indeed we do- there would be more job opportunities for me if this was the case...BUT...restoring and preserving houses like Wentowrth Place is part of that- this is a worthy arts investment.

Having said that, I visited the house for the first time since the renovations a few weeks ago with a friend who loves poetry but hadn't got 'into' Keats, and she loved the place and was inspired to read the poetry (even after having to listen to me standing in the garden reciting 'Nightingale' and enthusing over the fact that we were in the very place where it was composed...) We discussed the idea that for a literature lover visiting places associated with writers is effectively a pilgrimage, and that's very much how I feel when going to Keats House, so there is definitely a value in their preservation in my opinion.

That is great Maureen- glad your friend was inspired!! This is the point- Keats House is a total inspiration.

In fact, I have decided my dream is to take over the two shops that make up the lower floor of Keats Cottage (formerly Eglantine Cottage) in Shanklin, where he stayed while on the Isle of Wight, and turn them into a small Keats Museum. Talking about Keats to interested visitors and immersing myself in his work every day would be my ideal job!

Oh how wonderful that would be! It would be my ideal job too.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Keats around the world