Newly Published Letters of Joseph Ritchie and John Keats

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Newly Published Letters of Joseph Ritchie and John Keats

Postby Livinghand » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:10 pm

Thought these letters might be of interest to Keats enthusiasts. Sadly, we don't have Keats' own side of the correspondence, but they're quite a discovery all the same! http://livinghand.com/
Cheers!
G.M.
Livinghand

Re: Newly Published Letters of Joseph Ritchie and John Keats

Postby Raphael » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:23 pm

April Fools' day comes to mind- they are as about authentic as a plastic piano.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:41 am

Yeah, Raphael.
I'm more than a little sceptical, too.

It does seem to me that Ritchie and Keats were on friendly terms (I'm thinking here of both "The Immortal Dinner," by Penelope Hughes-Hallett, and the "Age of Wonder," by Richard Holmes. Both of these books hint at more than a nodding acquaintance between the two men. )

Alas, I doubt that there are any surviving letters between these two.

Phooey. It would certainly be cool if there were. :(
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Livinghand » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:40 am

Shouldn't we have fun with it anyway?
Livinghand

Postby Raphael » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:12 am

Livinghand wrote:Image

Shouldn't we have fun with it anyway?

I used to have one of those when I was a child! :lol: Though these days I prefer my Edwardian upright piano. :wink:
Your letters were rather fun and creative though Living Hand.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:26 am

Cybele wrote:
It does seem to me that Ritchie and Keats were on friendly terms (I'm thinking here of both "The Immortal Dinner," by Penelope Hughes-Hallett, and the "Age of Wonder," by Richard Holmes. Both of these books hint at more than a nodding acquaintance between the two men. )

I'd like to read The Immortal Dinner book. That is one of the most famous dinners of the 1800's!
John mentions Ritchie in 2 letters. The first is to George and Tom, 5 Jan 1818, in which he describes meeting him to Tom at Haydon's . He says that Ritchie was very polite to him and asked after Tom. Tom had met Ritchie in Paris.At this point John calls him "Richer"- he isn't sure of the right name.The second letter is to George and Georgiana, Dec 1818- Jan 1819, in which he says "Ritchey was well and in good Spirits among Camels, Turbans, Palm Trees and sands". He had recieved a letter from him , but tells George and Georgiana that he "promised to send him an Endymion which I did not; however he has one." So yes, they were fairly good friends.I expect John had written to Ritchie to tell him the sad news of Tom.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby BrokenLyre » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:15 am

The Immortal Dinner is a nice read indeed. I think you would enjoy it.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:54 pm

BrokenLyre wrote:The Immortal Dinner is a nice read indeed. I think you would enjoy it.

I'd have been carving broccoli with P.B Shelley LOL.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:12 am

I loved "The Immortal Dinner." I do think that JK and Ritchie were fairly well acquainted with each other.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby BrokenLyre » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:42 am

Cool Cybele. I look forward to reading it again sometime. Fortunately, as I get older I forget what I have read (or movies I have seen).
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Cybele » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:36 am

Wow! I certainly know how to repeat myself! (I've been posting lately from my iPod or typing while holding a baby on my lap, and so don't pay close enough attention to what I've said before. :lol: )

RE: "The Immortal Dinner" -- When I went to Cincinatti to see "Christ's Entry" again, the librarian at the Athenaeum of Ohio/Mount St. Mary's Seminary said it was fun to have a book in the library (which is just a few steps from the painting) about "Christ's Entry." (I think she was amused by my enthusiasm.)
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Cybele » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:41 am

Wow! I certainly know how to repeat myself! (I've been posting lately from my iPod or typing while holding a baby on my lap, and so don't pay close enough attention to what I've said before. :lol: )

RE: "The Immortal Dinner" -- When I went to Cincinatti to see "Christ's Entry" again, the librarian at the Athenaeum of Ohio/Mount St. Mary's Seminary said it was fun to have a book in the library (which is just a few steps from the painting) about "Christ's Entry." (I think she was amused by my enthusiasm.)
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Return to Keats around the world