John gets a mention on Classic FM radio station!

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

John gets a mention on Classic FM radio station!

Postby Raphael » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:36 pm

I had just finished watching Bright Star on my PC and put Classic FM on the radio and the news came on and it said that the letter that was for auction had fetched a "record breaking" £96,000!!! and that it was bought by the city of London. I presume it is now at Keats House. It was great to hear him get a mention on the news.

In addition to this on the late show hosted by Nick Bailey on this radio station last night he asked listeners to text in things that made them happy- I texted in that reading John's poems (alongside playing my Piano and other things) make me happy- and he read it out! He often reads my texts out. :D
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: John gets a mention on Classic FM radio station!

Postby Dolores » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:28 pm

How fantastic would it be to own something like that, imagine owning Keats' very first handwritten version of 'Ode to a Nightingale'!! The other week when I went to Dove Cottage with Uni they were showing us all of these first editions of books, there was one by Keats and one by Shelley but we were only allowed to look at them of course. We did get to 'touch' Wordsworth's very own copy of Paradise Lost though! Which was quite strange. I wish it had been Keats' :)

Also, if it interests anyone, about a month ago there was a thing on radio 4 about Byron's Childe Harold, they had 3 different lecturers talking about it, really quite good actually and very informative, particularly about Canto III. If you go on bbciplayer radio website I'm sure it will still be on there!
Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss'd, and fair the form I floated with about that melancholy storm
Dolores

Postby BrokenLyre » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:56 pm

That is awesome! Glad you made it to the radio! 96 thousand pounds for a letter is about $158,000 US dollars. Glad the city of London bought it.
Thanks for the update.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:56 am

Dolores wrote:How fantastic would it be to own something like that, imagine owning Keats' very first handwritten version of 'Ode to a Nightingale'!! The other week when I went to Dove Cottage with Uni they were showing us all of these first editions of books, there was one by Keats and one by Shelley but we were only allowed to look at them of course. We did get to 'touch' Wordsworth's very own copy of Paradise Lost though! Which was quite strange. I wish it had been Keats' :)

Also, if it interests anyone, about a month ago there was a thing on radio 4 about Byron's Childe Harold, they had 3 different lecturers talking about it, really quite good actually and very informative, particularly about Canto III. If you go on bbciplayer radio website I'm sure it will still be on there!

Wow first editions!
I was supposed to read Child Harold at my first year in uni but couldn't get into it. I did feel a bit guilty as the lecturer in my tutorial had photocopied the whole thing for me- it was pages and pages long and it gave me a headache after the first 2 pages. :oops:
Of course, John Keats has never given me a headache. :wink:

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:57 am

BrokenLyre wrote:That is awesome! Glad you made it to the radio! 96 thousand pounds for a letter is about $158,000 US dollars. Glad the city of London bought it.
Thanks for the update.

It is great it wasn't bought by some rich person who wouldn't look after it! I have looked on the Keats House website- no mention of the letter as yet...

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Ennis » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:20 pm

Raphael wrote:
BrokenLyre wrote:That is awesome! Glad you made it to the radio! 96 thousand pounds for a letter is about $158,000 US dollars. Glad the city of London bought it.
Thanks for the update.

It is great it wasn't bought by some rich person who wouldn't look after it! I have looked on the Keats House website- no mention of the letter as yet...

Gosh, I'm glad of that news, Raphael. I was so hoping some rich dude with an attitude didn't buy it. When I had e-mailed The House upon first hearing of this letter and its auction, I asked them outright if they were planning on purchasing it. The response I received was that they were hoping for enough "subscriptions" to purchase it, but the outcome was doubtful. If I'm not mistaken (and I very well could be!), The House comoes under the auspices of the City of London, so surely the letter will eventualy find its home there, with the others!! Our English friends: please keep us posted!!
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:41 pm

I haven't heard any more news on the radio since- in fact it was only on the radio news once (that I heard) last evening. Keep checking the Keats House website too folks!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby BrokenLyre » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:58 pm

Yes, Keats House is under the auspices of "City of London" as far as I can tell. You are correct. That's why I am so glad to hear of the purchase by London. Keep us posted, English friends!
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby marwood » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:16 pm

I have just been on the poetry society web site and it would seem the letter
will go on permanent display at Keats house!!! :D
Just off for a glass of claret!
Chin chin,
Marwood.
That I might drink, and leave the world unseen.
marwood
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Raphael » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:01 am

That is wonderful news Marwood! The letter is where it belongs. :D

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Ennis » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:34 pm

marwood wrote:I have just been on the poetry society web site and it would seem the letter
will go on permanent display at Keats house!!! :D
Just off for a glass of claret!
Chin chin,
Marwood.

Yes, go to the Keats House web site and they have tons of info about permanently housing the letter where it belongs! :D :D
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:43 pm

Well that wasn't all there last time I looked! It was lovely to see all this and the photos of the letter too...in his own hand..

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:39 am

Yay! \o/
The letter will be where it belongs, indeed!
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Return to Keats around the world