The Crown Inn, Liverpool where the Keats brothers stayed

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

The Crown Inn, Liverpool where the Keats brothers stayed

Postby Raphael » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:34 am

I was just looking on Liverpool history websites and found a reference to the Crown Inn- this link is A walk around Liverpool in 1812 and towards the end it lists fine inns- the Crown inn being one of them. Finally, I have found which street it was on - the street still exists so next time I'm in Liverpool city centre, I'll go and see what is there now. I doubt very much the inn is there as Liverpool has very few Georgian inns now. The street is as I thought it would be, near the docks. But if it is still there I shall take a photo...

http://www.old-liverpool.co.uk/Walk1812.html
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: The Crown Inn, Liverpool where the Keats brothers stayed

Postby Cybele » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:44 am

Yes -- Please take a photo!
I try to visualize places our guy visited and/or wrote about. I doubt things look like they did 200 years ago, but a photo will still give us a "feel" of the place.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:56 pm

I will do when I go to the road. My kodak camera seems to have died; I probably will have to take the photos on my mobile so they won't be very clear, but better than nothing!
By the way, there are LOADS of Georgian houses in Liverpool!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:29 pm

Ok, I was in the city today near the docks so took my map book and went to find Red Cross St- I have actually walked past it many times without realising! It is sadly as I suspected- nothing at all left from the Regency period - that includes the Crown Inn. Below are 2 photos I took of Red Cross Street from my mobile phone. I felt quite sad walking down it trying to imagine it as it was back then with the inn and wondering where the inn stood in this road. It isn't very big and it was probably a short side street then. The top of it faces the Albert Dock.There aren't even any Victorian buildings there- all modern c.20th ones and a new hotel being built. As I was following the map book, I saw a sign for the street and asked one of the work men if this was the street and he said yes. I told him why I was there- that one time back in 1818 there was an inn, John Keats the poet, and his brother George who was going to emigrate to America by ship, and I was curious to see what the street looked like now. How I wish the inn was still there and the road still Georgian/Regency! I don't know when it was all pulled down.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:21 am

Oh. That's a bit sad, isn't it?
But thank you for posting the photos, anyway.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:58 pm

It was impossible for me to get any sense of 1818 in that road Cybele- with all the screeching traffic on the main road by the docks, and building noise going on and the new buildings. I felt quite depressed stood there with nothing left of John's time to experience.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Ennis » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:31 pm

Raphael wrote:I was just looking on Liverpool history websites and found a reference to the Crown Inn- this link is A walk around Liverpool in 1812 and towards the end it lists fine inns- the Crown inn being one of them. Finally, I have found which street it was on - the street still exists so next time I'm in Liverpool city centre, I'll go and see what is there now. I doubt very much the inn is there as Liverpool has very few Georgian inns now. The street is as I thought it would be, near the docks. But if it is still there I shall take a photo...

http://www.old-liverpool.co.uk/Walk1812.html

Hello, everyone!

For those interested: Carole Walker's Walking North with Keats traces Keats's Scottish jaunt, and I believe she starts with Liverpool. I could be mistaken -- have to check my copy when I get home. Anyway, she has a nice introduction and pictures of all the places visited by Brown and Keats (if still around) with captions explaining each photograph.
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:26 pm

That'd be interesting to see what and has not changed, thanks Ennis.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:57 am

I had borrowed a book on Liverpool from the c.18th- 1800 (written in the late 1800s) and the author mentions all the inns in 1775- no mention of The Crown Inn so it must have been built after that date but before 1812. Also he mentions a fine house with a front courtyard being at the top of the road in that era- late 18th. He mentions many fine coffee houses being in the city centre in the late c.18th also. In regard to my first post- not one of them survives now- no inns or coffee houses. There is one pub in Dale st I think that dates from the late c.18th- but prob the name has changed from its original age and it has prob been totally rebuilt inside. I'll have to look next time I'm around there.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby BrokenLyre » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:20 am

Ennis, Carol Walker's book Walking North With Keats has Keats starting his journey just after he left his brother George and his wife, Georgiana, at the Crown Inn in Liverpool. She then begins with a picture of Lancaster. probably because there is no Crown Inn when she was in Liverpool. Too bad. Time is a tough taskmaster.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:45 pm

When was that book published?

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:47 am

Raphael wrote:When was that book published?

It's not that old at all, Raphael. It was published in 1992. My husband bought it several years ago as a birthday gift. http://www.amazon.com/Walking-North-Keats-Carol-Walker/dp/0300048246/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325129875&sr=8-1

This is a good read, but it would have been much more fun if I had any hope of visiting the places mentioned in the book.
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:31 pm

Yes, it would be something to have the book and go along the places as one reads....
Thanks for the date of the publication- I didn't think it would be an early c.20th publication, but was just checking. If by a great stroke of luck the book had been a c.19th publication one might have got a clearer date of when the Crown Inn was demolished. As it is, I'm guessing that by the late c.19th the Crown Inn was no longer standing. When the city library re opens after its refurbishment I can go to the archives section and see if they have any information.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby GreenLarry » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:27 pm

I live in a city where many buildings remain intact & somewhat functioning as of 1818... Charleston, SC .... sad to say much of what must have inspired Keats was more people & walking about glens & meadows are not that common here but surely are still common in his England? ....The College of Charleston predates Keats at 1770 & a few cobblestone streets remain, but war & hurricanes have wiped out any sense of continuity essential to finding 180 years ago scenes in his minds eye
GreenLarry

Postby GreenLarry » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:32 pm

English farms then had few if any noisy machines, highways had room for two carriages abreast, John Keats sailed in tall ships & no railroads were yet built .... the last era of nature powered foot, cart or ship
GreenLarry

Return to Keats around the world