John Keats stamp from 1971

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

John Keats stamp from 1971

Postby Cath » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:05 pm

I stumbled across a picture of the postal stamp that was released in the UK in 1971 to commemorate the 150th anniversary of Keats's death. Look at the picture they used - isn't it a bit odd?

http://literarywinchester.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Keats-John1.jpg

It seems a terrible likeness (looks more like Byron!). What portrait or drawing are they working from (if at all)?
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Re: John Keats stamp from 1971

Postby Raphael » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:22 pm

Doesn't look like him at all- I think they used Charles Brown's drawing as an inspiration for the hair though!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:03 pm

The hair is very stylised, and kind of Melvin Bragg in the 70s-ish; but then everyone had long wavy hair in the 70s... A Keats for the Saturday Night Fever generation...
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby BrokenLyre » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:48 am

Yes Saturn, they may have been accommodating Keats' portrait for 1971 when male long hair was really in. It certainly appears so to me. Actually Saturday Night Fever was later in the 70's. I think Keats' hair here looks like Bob Dylan's of 1971. Yes, I know Dylan is not British, but he was at his height of popularity in 1970 or so. Just a "deconstructive" thought on your stamp.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Return to Keats around the world