New book on Keats and Shakespeare in progress

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

New book on Keats and Shakespeare in progress

Postby Cath » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:34 pm

Dr Pauline Kiernan - author of Shakespeare's Theory of Drama (1998) and Staging Shakespeare at the New Globe (1999) and visiting tutor at Oxford University - is working on a new study of Keats and the influence of Shakespeare on his work. She has written: "I'm having a wonderful time working on Keats at the moment. Every time I come back to him, I find he just keeps getting deeper. I always knew he was profoundly complex and a truly original thinker and critic. You can take any of his remarks about other writers and however many times you read one, it seems to leap from the page afresh, with a startling exact and powerful expression." How true!

Hardcore Keats enthusiasts will remember that there have been at least two previous works analysing the two writers together: R.S. White's Keats as a Reader of Shakespeare (1987) and John Middleton Murry's Keats and Shakespeare: A Study of Keats's Poetic Life from 1816-1820 (1925).
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Re: New book on Keats and Shakespeare in progress

Postby Raphael » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:59 pm

Sounds good!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Keats around the world