Graffiti Keats

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Graffiti Keats

Postby BrokenLyre » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:11 am

While tearing apart my kitchen, the workers removed my cabinets and wallboard behind it. They proceeded to put up new wallboard before they install new cabinets next week. So I was standing there, just looking at my new, blank, clean walls...and thought "What a great space...What shall I do with it before they put up the cabinets?"

You guessed it. I took a sharpie and decided to write out some lines from Keats. Poems and letters...I thought the installers might actually read a little before they put up the cabinets.

But I like to think that someday - 30 years or so from now - somebody will tear down my cabinets and when they do, they will get a very pleasant surprise! I deeply wish I could see their faces when they remove the cabinets and wonder who wrote all that poetry. And maybe, just maybe, they will be inspired to look up our poet friend....because I also put up on the walls the URL address for the Keats Forum. Just fun to imagine what they will think...
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Re: Graffiti Keats

Postby Cybele » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:54 pm

LOL, BrokenLyre. What a fun thing to do! Some future kitchen renovators will probably be more puzzled by the URL than the poetry, tho'.

And my sympathies for dealing with a kitchen reno. I thought ours would never end.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:10 pm

What a fun idea Baroken Lyre! I ought to scribe the Robbie Burns mouse poem on mine due to the two Mice that have set up home behind my washing machine...
Yes, I do have a clean kitchen, and no, not found their hole and point of entry, the cheeky little blighters.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:01 am

We had a poor little chipmunk catch itself in the motor of the drier last spring. It was terrible!
Sigh. Rodents and household appliances -- not a good mix.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:38 pm

Cybele wrote:We had a poor little chipmunk catch itself in the motor of the drier last spring. It was terrible!
Sigh. Rodents and household appliances -- not a good mix.

Awww..chipmunks are so cute. I have called my Mice Tiny and Smelly- their names say it all.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Ravenwing » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:29 pm

Adieu.
Last edited by Ravenwing on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ravenwing

Postby Raphael » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:46 pm

Ravenwing wrote:Hi Raphael,

A cat would only be too happy to make short work of those two—you might be able to rent one for a week or two, or borrow a cat from a neighbour or friend or family member. Hopefully you can do something about that situation before the small mouse becomes a larger mouse, and they then breed, as the spring has arrived, and the summer is near. If you are renting, then I would expect for it to be your duty as a Tenant to report those mice to the landlord—after all, if they are living there, then they must pay rent, too.

From Ravenwing.

Tiny has been coming out ( and it is the DAYTIME!!) and I think it is the one who stinks not the bigger one which doesn't come out much. The smell is very unpleasant. I have put clove oil and peppermint oil about to deter it as it offends their noses. I am a Buddhist and I cannot kill them, I do not want to kill them- just to send them packing. I have a trip trap and been putting bait inside it but they don't go in it. I had another mouse I called Mickey a few weeks ago who didn't smell and she got trapped in it and I took her to the local cemetary and set her free in the derelict church there. I left her food and the next day found her dead outside. I felt guilty about that and was upset as I didn't mean for her to die.
The landlady sent her guys round and they put a plank to seal the gap unbder the sink and pulled the washing machine out but could find no holes or nest.
I am not allowed to keep pets as I have a four roomed little house and am allergic to cats anyway. Though the man who delivers my veg has offered to come round one night for a brew and bring his cat...would a cat prowling around for an hour be enough to send the mice away? I doubt it. Tiny is very audacious and comes out in the day and stares at me.
I am ordering a big metal box type trap end of this week from ebay and will get a 3 way sonic deterrant when I can afford it. I only work part time. If I had a well paid job I'd call pest control guys who know how to seal up holes properly. I cannot find them- the land lady's guys even walked around the outside of the house and could not see any points of entry.

The guy who lives behind me also has mice. I think the cellars from the houses who used to be here before these houses were built in the 1980s are still underneath.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:21 am

In my experience those sonic pest botherers really don't work well. We have what's called a Havahart trap http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-0745-Professional-One-Door-Chimpunk/dp/B000BPAVCG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366683580&sr=8-1&keywords=squirrel+trap+havahart for squirrels that works very well. I don't know how it would work for mice. We've had recurring problems -- some hilarious, all were messy -- with squirrels inside our house for years.
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Cybele » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:25 am

LOL! To get back on topic, did Mr Keats ever offer up any thoughts on household rodent control?? :lol:
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Malia » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:53 pm

He did write, in his letter to Georgianna in 1820 that he'd sent a cat along with George on his return trip to America--in case she needed a rat catcher ;)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Return to Keats around the world