very quick and important,help meeeeeeee

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

very quick and important,help meeeeeeee

Postby meme » Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:24 pm

i wonna ask abuot the special things wich makes john keats deffrent ,may be the way of writing,thats it the way in writing
giv me any thing in this sub.
pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeees help me
:cry: :cry: :cry:
and thanks for ya all
meme

sridhar

Postby sridhar » Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:07 pm

hello meme
words would never be sufficient to explain what keats is.
he is a poet-creator of myth,a priest of beauty who concretised the meaning of the abstract idea beauty,apoet who presented a radical poesy of the day,...............................

can discuss more on your reply.
bye for now
i'm an indian,sridhar.i have worked on keats'use of myth
sridhar

What made him different

Postby Stephen Smith » Tue May 04, 2004 4:54 pm

As I recall, Keats--like Shakespeare--was a past master of something called "negative capability." One of the writers/critics on Keats came up with the term although his name escapes me at the moment.

What it means is that Keats was able to negate himself when writing. Just as Shakespeare was able to take himself out of the picture and, as a result, put himself into the psyches of the many characters he created, Keats was able to stand aside from his own consciousness when writing.

One line that comes back (well, not exactly) was the one where Keats was writing about the sensation a snail has when his tentacles come into contact with something--that he retreats into his shell in pain.

Negative capability is a primary feature of Keats' writing and one that has kept it fresher than, say, even the writing of Shelley or Byron, his contemporaries.

I would search that term, negative capability, to get a more definitive answer. :wink:

Stephen
Stephen Smith

Re: What made him different

Postby Despondence » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:33 pm

Stephen Smith wrote:As I recall, Keats--like Shakespeare--was a past master of something called "negative capability." One of the writers/critics on Keats came up with the term although his name escapes me at the moment.
[...]
I would search that term, negative capability, to get a more definitive answer.

Yes, I agree. Just one minor correction: the term "negative capability" was coined by Keats himself in a Letter to George and Tom Keats 1817. You could also look at Steph J's site, she collates some stuff on negative capability there: http://www.alpheratz.f2s.com/index.htm
Despondence

Return to Keats around the world