Keats Sighting in a Lincoln book

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Keats Sighting in a Lincoln book

Postby bard of passion » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:14 pm

While reading another of my personal favorites, I came across this information under the subchapter heading of "Historians' Encounters:"

"On July 26, 1947, at one minute past midnight--twenty-one years to the day after the death of Robert Todd Lincoln--the great collection of his father's papers was unveiled to the public with appropriate ceremony at the Library of Congress in Washington."

In attendance were "some thirty Lincoln scholars" at the gala event (with dinner, of course), with CBS cameras recording the event on newsreel for distribution the next day. After the scholars examined the manuscripts and notebooks and papers, the CBS correspondent, John Daly, interviewed some of the scholars.

One of them, James G. Randall, "was rhapsodic, quoting lines from Keats's sonnet 'On First Looking into Chapman's Homer':

Then felt I like some watcher of the skies
When a new planet swims into his ken."

(from Lincoln in American Memory, OUP 1994, Merrill D. Peterson)

It is impressive to think that a Historian who devoted his whole academic life to studying A Lincoln would resort to quoting our Keats when confronted with the scholarly equivalent (to a boy of ten) of Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory!
bard of passion

Postby Saturn » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:35 pm

It just shows you.

As Shelley said "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world".

Who knows how Keats influenced the great man?

Nice find :D
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Return to Keats around the world