New and edited letter to Andrew Motion

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

New and edited letter to Andrew Motion

Postby dks » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:59 pm

Ok guys...I took time to carefully edit and judiciously add some things based on the awesome feedback, and also unceremoniously cut some things that were hastily written initially :oops: . Please tell me what you think and give me the greenlight (Stephen) and I will send it. I may need to add Saturn's name as admin and Malia's name as moderator for proper reference and credibility purposes... :?:

Hello.

I am writing you on behalf of my fellow Keats forum-ites, and to comment about your upcoming consultation on the Jane Campion film: "Bright Star."

Firstly, may I say, your recent biography is all inclusive and immensely comprehensive; we on the Keats forum are familiar with it and are happy to say that most of us have added it to our Keats collections. Our hats are off to you for undertaking such an auspicious task; you are quite obviously a tremendously talented author, not to mention an exceptionally accomplished poet.

Secondly, I want to say you have a very much coveted position in aiding Ms. Campion in this vastly important film; we only wish we could impart our knowledge and enthusiasm with regard to this project. You see, we are Keats devotees, and we are the only Keats 'society,' if you will, on the Web. We would be honored for you to visit us at John-Keats.com—you can witness there, first hand, our anticipation for the release of this film, not to mention multitudinous points of view and perspectives concerning the life and works of Keats. Many of us have been studying him for years. Some of us, me included, have embarked upon graduate work on Keats. We are a small group, but an important one in that we simply harbor a passion for this transcendent poet--everything about Keats’s profoundly resonant life and work. "Bright Star," is a heralding of sorts to us. We certainly feel that this film could help bring his name and memory to the forefront of mainstream literature and popularity--much like the recent revival of interest in Grail fiction (and non-fiction) in light of "The Da Vinci Code." Not that it is imperative Keats be catapulted to customary or boilerplate pop culture--we just like the idea of people actually taking the time to read him and digest his delicious work, as well as his sage, palpable correspondences.

I hesitated in sending this missive to you; I did not, in any way, intend to offend you and vainly intrude upon your expertise. We only have ideas and many interpretive musings about his life to share. Honestly, I think we would be happy enough to offer notions and conjectures concerning any aspect of the film. Again, we would be equally enthused for you to visit our site—it is sanctuary of sorts for us—a retreat to poesy, if you will; I daresay, Keats would approve.

Many respectful regards,
Denise Klabonski
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:56 pm

Oh see my answer in the other thread Denise...

The thought of the great man, the poet Laureate no less running his eyes over our little home from home here freaks me out :shock:

I'm sure he knows of it's existence, anyone who types in Keats in a search engine is almost certainly given here as their first link so I'm sure he knows we're here and may even have read some of our meanderings :shock:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:15 pm

Yes, the letter was sent last night--I sent it to Faber--his publisher. You may be right, Saturn, in assuming he won't even get a glance at it--but you never know...
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:37 pm

Wow Denise you've got guts :shock:

On behalf of us all thanks for daring to do the impossible :D

Even if you get no reply at least you cared enough to do it.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Return to Keats around the world