La Belle Dame Sans Merci - the film...

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

La Belle Dame Sans Merci - the film...

Postby Saturn » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:08 am

A nice little find this I stumbled across by accident.

A short film representation of the poem.

Beautifully done I think.

Here's some info and pictures from the film, script etc.

http://www.la-belle-dame.co.uk/

And here:

http://www.britfilms.tv/watch.php?id=681&size=high

You can watch it for yourself :P

I wonder will Bright Star have such sequences dramatising the poems in some way :?:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:47 pm

I don't remember if we ever talked about it here, but there was a more recent short film adaptation of La Belle Dame Sans Merci made just over a year ago, I think. I'm desperate to see it; it looks gorgeous. You can check out a short trailer for it here: http://www.celophaine.com/lbdsm/lbdsm_trailers.html
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Malia » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:25 pm

Thanks for the links, guys :) Saturn, I watched the video of La Belle Dame and it is interesting. Pretty high quality! I think it would do well to show in a High School English class when introducing Keats to younger readers. I thought the movie was a wee bit "over the top" but you know, it's so hard to do Keats moderately. Anything having to do with him is either very good or very melodramatic. There's no in between with Keats!

I thought it was interesting to find that this adaptation was made in 1996. I was in England then, and let me tell you, there was a *lot* going on that year to honor both Keats and Jane Austen. Pride and Prejudice had just been remade as a BBC mini-series to celebrate the 200th aniversary of that novel (that celebration started in 1995), and of course Keats's bicentennial was well underway--having also begun in 1995. I remember there were not only museum exhibitions in his honor but radio plays and the Andrew Motion documentary of his last days.

Credo, the La Belle Dame you linked to is also very interesting. Is that more of a movie based on the premise of the poem or is it an actual dramatic reading of the poem by actors in a scene?

There's got to be somewhere where one can purchase it--I sure would :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:49 pm

Malia wrote:Credo, the La Belle Dame you linked to is also very interesting. Is that more of a movie based on the premise of the poem or is it an actual dramatic reading of the poem by actors in a scene?

There's got to be somewhere where one can purchase it--I sure would :)

I think the premise is that a member of a shipwrecked crew comes across the old knight, who tells his story (which is that in the poem), so I'm assuming it's a little of both. I've been trying to figure out how to be able to see it, but alas have not yet found a way. :(
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Return to Keats around the world