A short movie about an event of the life of John Keats

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

A short movie about an event of the life of John Keats

Postby Stephen Durden » Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:10 pm

Hello everybody,

my name is Stephen and I'm a director from Italy, who is up to start a small indipendent film production company called Solitarytree Films.

I would like to bring on the big screen a specific event of the life of John Keats: I would like to film a short movie about his decision to leave Fanny Browne (I hope I didn't mispelled her name) in order to continue with poetry.

Is anyone willing to help me in some researches? I want to make this short film, and I want to do it as best as I can.

Thanks in advance.
Stephen

P.S. Sorry for the mistakes, I'm still learning English :)
Stephen Durden

Postby Endymion » Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:14 am

Hi Stephen I admire your efforts to bring this subject and make it into a film, I think it's got potential to be very interesting.

Have a look at the biography up there on the left, it'll give you more of an insight that you'll benefit from.

Actually, Keats wrote very little poetry after he left Fanny, he was really suffering from tuberculosis and had to be cared for night and day by Joseph Severn, his companion on the journey to Italy.

I cannot quite understand Keats's determination not to write to Fanny after they parted - wouldn't it have eased his burden to speak to her, and he must have been heartbroken to leave her almost knowing he'd never see her again. Or was he doing it for her benefit? Thinking that by not contacting her by letter he was easing the burden of loss for her?

Hope this helps,

Regards
"He Stood in His Shoes and he Wondered
He Wondered
He Stood in his Shoes and He Wondered."
Endymion

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:47 pm

Endymion wrote:Hi Stephen I admire your efforts to bring this subject and make it into a film, I think it's got potential to be very interesting.

Have a look at the biography up there on the left, it'll give you more of an insight that you'll benefit from.

Actually, Keats wrote very little poetry after he left Fanny, he was really suffering from tuberculosis and had to be cared for night and day by Joseph Severn, his companion on the journey to Italy.

I cannot quite understand Keats's determination not to write to Fanny after they parted - wouldn't it have eased his burden to speak to her, and he must have been heartbroken to leave her almost knowing he'd never see her again. Or was he doing it for her benefit? Thinking that by not contacting her by letter he was easing the burden of loss for her?

Hope this helps,

Regards

First of all thanks very much Endymion for the reply.

I perfectly understand what you say, and I share the opinion that probably Keats hadn't contacted Fanny anymore because he thought that it could have hurt her.

What I need too is actually an "artistical" help: I need to know where I can find informations about the clothes of that period, about the music, about where the fact happened (where was he when he said "I'm leaving you"?).

Sorry for the Enghlish again and thanks in advance.

Stephen

Postby Endymion » Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:21 am

You're welcome.

Regarding the clothes & styles ... Hmm that's a little harder to determine. I don't have anything myself, but have a look at the links page here, there's a lot of sites that might have pictures and settings you could use, but I'm not sure I could really put you in the direction of what kind of clothes were worn etc. in that period.

Were you planning a particularly ambitious project then?
"He Stood in His Shoes and he Wondered
He Wondered
He Stood in his Shoes and He Wondered."
Endymion

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:18 am

Endymion wrote:Were you planning a particularly ambitious project then?

Well, actually... yeah. The best historical movie is in my opinion Barry Lyndon by Stanley Kubrick (it's based upon the Thackeray novel): in that movie everything was perfect, from the use of light (no artificial light was used) to the locations, passing through the clothes, the language and so on.

I know that for me is something really difficult, but I don't want to alterate the actual facts using wrong clothes or wrong anything. It's a short episode, and I want that to be perfect and, more important, magic.

Postby Claire » Mon Apr 07, 2003 1:36 pm

Do you have a title for your film?
La Belle Dame Sans Merci.
Claire

filming Keats

Postby Severnseven7 » Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:29 am

There's no limit to the amount of research one can do: I think the trick is to get the spirit right. I am not a Keats scholar so I defer to those who are, but I found Aileen Ward's biography quite intuitive and moving.
I am also working on a very liberal adaptation of Keats' life for a film script. Here's what I want to know: are there any biopics out there already?
To the person who wondered why he stopped writing Fanny: I know why he stopped writing, I'm in the same shoes right now (except I'm not dying of TB or anything).
Keats rocks!
Severnseven7

Postby Despondence » Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:03 am

To the person who wondered why he stopped writing Fanny: I know why he stopped writing, I'm in the same shoes right now (except I'm not dying of TB or anything).

Hey Severn7, you can't just leave it at that - so why did he stop writing? In my personal view, it actually had something to do with his illness, although that's not the whole story. I'd be interested in hearing your analysis, if it's not too personal.

(sorry if this is digressing from the topic of the forum)
Despondence

Postby maosudan » Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:28 pm

dear stephen Durden

i hope you walk step in your film that you want to make about the
john keats really his life is good topic to be message to all mankind
on this earth , we to listen soooooon about the film what kind of help you need
things of beauty is joy forever
maosudan

Keats film.

Postby missvenise@aol.com » Tue May 27, 2003 8:33 am

To Stephen,

Are you still working on research on your Keats film? Where are you from, Italy?

I am a journalist in New York but I spend a lot of time in Italy. You can get lots of great information and help from the Keats-Shelley Museum in the Piazza d'Espagne in Rome. It is the house in which Keats died and is now a research museum and a lovely place to go. You might also visit the grave site, which is near the pyramid in the Protestant Cemetary.

Best of luck.
missvenise@aol.com

stephen's movie

Postby Isabella » Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:28 pm

ciao, stefano, i don't know more about keat's life than anyone else, but I am italoamericana so if you ever need help with translations or interpreting, that's what I did for a living, I can help you for free, if you need.

your movie idea sounds very interesting, very exciting. (Fanny's last name is spelled Brawne.)

best of luck,
isabella
Isabella

Who is Keats?

Postby MonroeDoctrine » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:03 am

If you're going to do a movie about Keats I hope you can discern the difference between Keats and Shelly and idiots like Wordsworth and Lord Byron.

The fact is Keats is a classical poet of Socratic Method. The guy is a Republican Revolutionary! Make sure you know the difference between his method of writing poetry which is an attack on Newtonian methods of thinking and the poetry of Byron. Keat's poetry is an attack on Hobbes, and as a matter of fact his friend Leigh Hunt was put in jail for writing in metaphor!

Don't forget that Keats grew up right after the American Revolution! He lived cerca 1795-1821 the idea that you're going to ignore that is stupid! The idea that you're going to forget the British Empire just got attacked is absurd! The fact that Keats grew up during the War of 1812 can't be ignored! Don't be like those idiots who talke about Edgar Allen Poe and forget to mention that Poe is a U.S. Soldier during an intense political fight.

Note:If there are gramatical errors in this post, I can care less about them.
Peace
MonroeDoctrine
At Parnassus' foot

Postby David » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:04 pm

Why do you consider Byron a fool?
David

Postby Becky » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:10 pm

Good question, I've always wondered that. Why does everyone here think Byron was a fool?

I wish you well. I, on the other hand, have lost my good play. :cry:
Becky

Postby Saturn » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:04 am

Mods - help - delete this previous poster :roll:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Next

Return to Keats around the world