Any good spoken word albums of Keat's poetry to recommend?

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Any good spoken word albums of Keat's poetry to recommend?

Postby catlover » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:47 pm

A lot of times I would rather listen to Keat's poetry than music or watch a movie.If any one has a favorite cassette,album,or CD of his poetry they especially like I am open to hearing about it.
Last edited by catlover on Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
catlover

Postby Saturn » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:54 pm

Well there are a couple of audio books in the shop...

http://www.john-keats.com/kunst/kunst_index.htm

I don't own them myself so can't tell you what they are like.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:03 am

There is one out there that actually won a spoken word grammy, I think. I've tried to purchase it, but sadly it is out of print now and unavailable (at least in the U.S.). When I lived in England 12 years ago (yikes! was it really that long ago??) I purchased a dual cassette of his works on tape read by a guy named Douglas Hodge. He was a youngish guy so I thought that would be a plus when listening to Keats's works read aloud. He read with passion, but it was obvious he didn't understand the meaning behind most of the poems, as he spoke with the same passion in every poem--even if the poem warrented a very different emotion. But, oh well! It is an OK "listen". I doubt it is available these days either, though. I have a feeling that if this Bright Star movie actually takes off (which I don't think it will, but who knows?), then there may be some re-issues of Keats on tape for new and renewed fans :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby catlover » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:03 am

Thank you for your suggestions.I see that the Douglas Hodge one is actually in the Shop that Saturn gave me the link for.I will have to try it and perhaps review it here.By the way I am so excited about the bright star movie.I will be first in line when it opens where I live.I'm sure my feelings echoes almost everyone on the forum here.
catlover

Postby Saturn » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:57 am

Indeed :D

I'm excited but apprehensive.

It'll be interesting watch, even if it is crap I'll probaly love it just because it's Keats :oops:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Re: Any good spoken word albums of Keat's poetry to recommend?

Postby catlover » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:41 pm

Me too.I want to go when it opens.But from what I see of it so far I don't think it's going to be crap. :D
catlover

Postby BrokenLyre » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:19 am

catlover wrote:Me too.I want to go when it opens.But from what I see of it so far I don't think it's going to be crap. :D

I do hope the movie justifies to my friends my love for Keats. That's probably asking too much from one little movie. People around me don't seem to care about Keats or care about why he fascinates me so much. (That's why I am on this forum :) )
But if the movie is the only real chance my friends have to learn about John Keats, it sure would be nice if they walked away from it with some sympathetic understanding and appreciation for him. That's my hope at least. Just maybe they will understand me better too. We'll see, I guess.

Part of me really doesn't care what the uninitiated think about Keats. I just don't want to have to explain my love for Keats further if the movie portrays him in a poor light. It's hard enough as it is explaining to anybody Keats's remarkable life. I hope the movie doesn't make it tougher. The burden we bear :).
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby catlover » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:28 am

Yes the burden we bear.My friends with the exception of one or two do not understand either.One time a date came over,looked at the life mask,books,poster etc and said Keats is every where in here.He didn't know what to think.
catlover

Postby BrokenLyre » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:32 am

catlover wrote:Yes the burden we bear.My friends with the exception of one or two do not understand either.One time a date came over,looked at the life mask,books,poster etc and said Keats is every where in here.He didn't know what to think.

That is hysterical! Thanks for the great laugh :D You just made my night! You're not alone catlover. People see the lifemask on my dining room wall and my extensive Keats library, as well as the pictures and poetry and they just shake their heads and mumble to themselves something about "counseling." Ha ha ha. Really, you're fine! Thanks for the quick response.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Re: Any good spoken word albums of Keat's poetry to recommen

Postby toots » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:10 pm

You could try the free downloadable audio books at LibriVox (www.librivox.org). They are all recorded by volunteers and many are excellent. I believe Keats is well represented in numerous readings. :)

Toots
toots

Postby Ennis » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:40 pm

Check the site for the BBC's "The Romantics." Nicholas Shaw (who plays Keats in the series) recites "Ode On a Grecian Urn," "Ode To a Nightingale," "To Autumn," and the sonnet "When I Have Fears." You can download them.
I wish Ben Whishaw would record recitations of Keats's poetry. I feel, with the "crash course" Campion required of him before filming "Bright Star", he has a handle on HOW to read Keats better than most out there who would attempt to record our Poet.
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Macbetht » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:57 am

you can listen some of them read by Nicholas Shaw here http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbw5wk ... n_creation
Enjoy))
Macbetht

Return to Keats around the world