Thesis Update

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Thesis Update

Postby dks » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:22 pm

Hello, all.

I've been so absent lately, I know. Just so damn busy...miss everyone--and all the buzz...I truly do love this place.

My thesis is due to be turned in by December, so the countdown is on...my research has taken me down many "verduous glooms and winding mossy ways"--it's been incredible, yet slow and a bit painstaking. Keats is helping me through it...I feel it at times...or maybe it's the lack of sleep? :lol:

Anyway, I will post excerpts for anyone interested along the way--if you care to hear about why Keats's poetry is so delicious to the synesthestic ear, and all about the determination of Keats himself being a true synesthete with an emphasis on color-taste, audio-taste, and visual-taste synesthesia identified through his unrivaled ability to utilize empathic imagery from direct experience--let me know!! :wink:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Malia » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:50 pm

Hey dks :)
I'm looking forward to reading your thesis--or parts thereof. I'm not sure I go for the idea of Keats having extra-sensory-type perception (synesthesia), but I'd like to see if you can change my mind :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:52 am

Oh please do give us a snippet of your opus mirabilis Denise :D
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:21 pm

Malia wrote:Hey dks :)
I'm looking forward to reading your thesis--or parts thereof. I'm not sure I go for the idea of Keats having extra-sensory-type perception (synesthesia), but I'd like to see if you can change my mind :)

Oh no no--it's not extra-sensory--it's far different...synesthesia is a neurological condition--the brain intermingles sensations--for instance some can hear color, or taste music--I, for example, have always been able to taste words--that's called lexical-gustatory synesthesia. It's a condition associated with aspects of the limbic portion of the brain...it's being widely studied right now--a very hot topic in neuroscience. Which is nice--for those of us who have always just lived with this (and cannot imagine not having it) while others whom I've told about it (VERY few over the years) just look at me like I'm from another planet...

Anyway--I could go into a book here, but I won't...I'll post what I can as soon as I can... :wink:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby dks » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:22 pm

Saturn wrote:Oh please do give us a snippet of your opus mirabilis Denise :D

Will do, Stephen...as soon as I get the chance, good man.
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:44 pm

I'm sure, much as it is fascinating you, you will be glad to get it finished and done?? :lol:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:40 am

Saturn wrote:I'm sure, much as it is fascinating you, you will be glad to get it finished and done?? :lol:

*moan* of course...any paper that has to be done gets to be quite a weight on your shoulders...I'd much rather read my Keats for pure pleasure than to have to maim and kill it by dissection. :!:
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:40 am

It would put me off it for life for sure. No matter how interested and enthusiastic you are about a subject it can pall quite easily when one feels burdened under the weight of critical apparatus and dense allusive interpretations.
To my mind it "unweaves the rainbow " "chases the goblin from the heath" etc. It tears a" passion to very rags".

I admire your patience, diligence and resolve.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Return to Keats around the world