Keats in translation

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Falina » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:31 am

First of all: Thank you very much, Malia and AhDistinctly and everbody else :D - you make me feel really welcome here *thx*!!!

Manako wrote:Robert Frost said: "Poetry is what get lost in translation"

Mmhhh... I'm not sure if I agree with that completely either... I think a translated poem - if it's a really good translation - can be, as Saturn wrote, "a work of art in itself". And I really admire people who can achieve that, who can transport the beauty of a poem into another language. But by doing that, by translating verse or prose, some things change - have to change naturally... For example: Every language has its own specific sound, rhythm, melody or whatever you might call it. And that's of course something you can't imitate in a translation... That doesn't mean the poem gets "worse" or whatever by translation - it just changes... it's just different... I mean, I can just talk about my own experience - and I'm not sure whether somebody who doesn't speak German can imagine how different this language is to English, for example... English somehow has that kind of "flow" (I don't know how else to describe it *lol*) that is so different to my mother tongue :)... And this is something that definitely gets lost in translations from English to German - and something I really miss somehow - especially in translated Keats poems ...
Falina

Postby Bobo W » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:36 am

Has anybody, who speaks English as a second language, come to Keats by a translation into their mother tongue?

Yeah, I am from Bulgaria and I`ve read a couple of things translated in Bulgarian... mostly parts from, Fall of Hyperion.

They were good (the translator was actualy a friend of my dad), but as I see it, poetry is something one must not translate. Well, my father often translates a lot of Bulgarian poems in English, just for sport, but this way he becomes an author himself.

So... if I want to read John Keats, I buy John Keats in English. If I want to read John Keats ab\nd the friend of my dad, I buy the translation
Bobo W

Postby korenbloem » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:15 am

Like Cervantes said:latin and greek those queens of languages are the exception.
korenbloem

Postby sarah7750 » Mon May 07, 2007 2:17 am

hey ,i am a newcomer from china, a postgraduate student working for MA degree on english language and literature. what's more, i love keats more than any other poets in english literature history.

as to your interesting topic, i'd say keats has been quite famous in our countury, and his poems have been translated into chinese by different capable translators, among whom several are poets themselves. however, i have to say there are a lot of "poetic essence" lost in the process. the barrier between languages is so obvious that every one can sense the difference between the original ones and the translated ones, especiallly the meters.

now, my thesis is on keats from the ecocriticism point of view. does any one get any thougt on it ? pleast contact me. i am in great nedd of help and support.

thanks, and wait for your reply
sarah7750

Postby dks » Tue May 08, 2007 5:01 am

Sarah, your thesis sounds very interesting. How, exactly, are you relating his work to the natural environment? In a purely aesthetic way? Or in an ecological, historical way?

I'm just curious...I, too, am writing my master's thesis on Keats.
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby AsphodelElysium » Wed May 09, 2007 10:32 am

Sarah,

I have to agree with Denise, your thesis sounds facinating. Are you going to focus on a certain group of Keats's poems, such as the Odes, or are you going to do a sampling of them all? The ecocritical approach is interesting and I think Keats's works will lend themselves very well to the application. I've only come across one article that deals specifically with Keats and Ecocriticism (I haven't done much study with Ecocrit). I don't know if it will help or not but it may be worth checking out.

"Proto-Evolutionary Bards and Post-Ecological Critics" by Karl Kroeber

Good luck with everything.

Cheers.
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Previous

Return to Keats around the world