New Keats biography: Posthumous Keats

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

New Keats biography: Posthumous Keats

Postby Saturn » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:25 pm

Looks interesting

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Posthumous-Keat ... F8&s=books

:P

Also a major new biography of Shelley too:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Percy-Bysshe-Sh ... F8&s=books

:D

Oh yeah, I can't wait :!:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Re: New Keats biography: Posthumous Keats

Postby Saturn » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:21 pm

The new Keats biography mentioned above will now be published on the 2nd of September.

The Shelley on the 15th August.

:D
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Re: New Keats biography: Posthumous Keats

Postby Credo Buffa » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:01 am

Thanks for the reminder, Saturn! After I read this, I checked it out and the book has already been released here in the States, so I dropped by and picked up a copy yesterday. I've made it through the first chapter, and it's definitely different from any of the other Keats bios out there! First impressions are that it has a very meandering, almost stream-of-consciousness style that I can imagine would be difficult to follow if the reader did not already have a good base of knowledge about the timeline of Keats's life. Therefore, I think that this is definitely a book by a Keats devotee best digested by other Keats devotees. . . so perfect for us!

My only real complaint so far is a lack of illustrations. The first chapter is primarily devoted to the various portraits of Keats, and although we've all seen most of the ones he discusses in detail many times before (again, favoring the existing fans), it's always nice to have that easy reference. Where it becomes vital is when he starts to discuss details of images of Shelley, Wordworth, Coleridge, paintings by pre-Raphaelites, etc. As I was reading the descriptions in the book while sitting in a coffee shop, I kept wishing I had my computer with me so that I could look up the pictures!

I won't go into too much detail about the book for anyone else who wants to read it first, but it would be great to have some kind of discussion sometime (Keats book club!). :)
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Return to Keats around the world