New book on John and George Keats in the works-I found this

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

New book on John and George Keats in the works-I found this

Postby catlover » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:21 pm

Hi Everyone,

I found this online and felt I should share with the forum.Apparently someone is working on a book about the Keats brothers with the help of one of George Keats descendants.

Denise Gigante, Associate Professor of English, teaches eighteenth and nineteenth-century British literature with a focus on Romanticism. Her books include Taste: A Literary History (Yale UP, 2005), Gusto: Essential Writings in Nineteenth-Century Gastronomy (Routledge, 2005), The Great Age of the English Essay: An Anthology (Yale UP, 2008), and Life: Organic Form and Romanticism, forthcoming from Yale University Press in spring 2009. She is currently working on The Keats Brothers: The Life of John and George with Lawrence M. Crutcher (a descendant of George Keats) and a book about American bibliophilia and British Romanticism.
catlover

Postby Malia » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:44 pm

Now that sounds like a book I would buy, Catlover! It looks *very* interesting. I wonder if she will delve into how influential America has been for Keats, based on the fact that so many of Keats's letters ended up here. George was one of Keats's first and greatest champions and he set the foundation for a great love of Keats here in the States. Also, Americans have been influential in turning Keats House into a museum and in creating an audience for his work. It's kind of ironic, because Keats was none-too-fond of America/Americans. . .although I don't think he *hated* us per se. Anyway, I suppose all the Independence Day patriotism has rubbed off on me, hehe.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby catlover » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:42 pm

I agree with you Malia.This book sounds exciting because we also have a view from a descendant who must have heard stories about his famous grandfather and great uncle while he was growing up.I feel as you do that America has been the biggest champion of Keats starting with his brother George.I bet if he lived longer he would have eventually traveled here and loved it.I don't think he truly disliked Americans.I think he was frustrated because his loved ones emigrated there and he saw it as a place that took away those he cared about.But the American ideal of liberty came close to what he believed in.I am looking forward to this book coming out.So now a book and a movie in the works.
catlover

Postby Saturn » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:16 pm

I've never had the impression in all my reading of Keats that he hated Americans, or America :?

Thanks for the news though catlover, it sounds like a very interesting book, one I'm sure we'd all love to read.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby catlover » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:39 am

The more I think about it Saturn and the more I re-read his letters I am convinced also that Keats did not dislike Americans or really America in general.This new book might dwell into that subject a bit.By the way,I love the drawing.Are you the artist?
catlover

Postby Saturn » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:56 pm

catlover wrote:By the way,I love the drawing.Are you the artist?

I wish!

No my girlfriend drew it for me. It's pencil and pastels.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Re: New book on John and George Keats in the works-I found this

Postby keatsclose » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:53 am

Thanks, catlover.

Just found - in the interesting 1980 book by Joanna Richardson, Keats and His Circle: An Album of Portraits, beneath the now familiar portrait of George Keats:
'This watercolour miniature of George Keats was painted by Joseph Severn. It was presented to the Keats-Shelley memorial House in Rome by the granddaughters of George Keats, the daughters of Emma Keats Speed.'

By the way I can recommend this title, which has some interesting photos, among them several of his sister Fanny in later life. There's a definite facial resemblance, and a striking one , despite her portrait being a rather faded shot, between JK and his Spanish niece Rosa Llanos.
keatsclose

Postby BrokenLyre » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:06 pm

Thanks friends. I will look for the book sometime...Too many books, not enough time.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby catlover » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:15 am

I have the book by Joanna Richardson with the portraits.It's wonderful.If you can still find it,snatch it up for your collecton.
catlover

Postby keatsclose » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:48 pm

Amazon.co.uk has a 'used, acceptable' copy for a mere £0.21 plus postage!
keatsclose

Postby Raphael » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:50 pm

I'm in Britain so I put the £2.00 one in my basket ( for Monday's pay day .. :D ) - it was cost a little more than the 21p one with p and p, so I may as well get the one from here which will arrive sooner. I LOVE Amazon! I couldn't afford books unless from charity shops til I joined Amazon. There are some second hand book shops here but they often charge more. I've got the Bright Star CD on its way and the letters of John to Fanny coming.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby mevans » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:49 pm

I LOVE Amazon! I couldn't afford books unless from charity shops til I joined Amazon. There are some second hand book shops here but they often charge more. I've got the Bright Star CD on its way and the letters of John to Fanny coming.

Amazon is just too easy to shop in, all I have to do is type in a few words and there is John Keats with tons of books and there goes my bank account! I did find a gently used copy of Keats' Selected Poems in a used bookstore the other day and considered it a small victory. If only I could find a copy of his letters, I would be very happy. Hope you enjoy your Bright Star cd, I am sitting here with bated breath waiting for my Bright Star dvd to come in January.
"And if thou wilt, remember,/And if thou wilt, forget." - Christina Rossetti
mevans

Postby Raphael » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:47 pm

Mevans if you mean his letters to Fanny- they have new editions in penguin with an intro by Jane Campion- mine arrived yesterday. My CD is due to arrive in Jan too!

Here's a link to loads of editions of his letters:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_0_1 ... +keats+let

I've borrowed the Grant one from the library. I love reading his letters- especially the ones where he's describing some gathering he went to- he is often very funny the things he writes about!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:57 pm

Raphael wrote:I LOVE Amazon! I couldn't afford books unless from charity shops til I joined Amazon. There are some second hand book shops here but they often charge more. I've got the Bright Star CD on its way and the letters of John to Fanny coming.

I'm an Amazon addict, myself. I have to be extremely careful not to go there very often. Same with iTunes, Cost Plus World Market (our international food/wine/gifts store in town) and Huckleberry's (our high-end organic food store). I go to any one of those places and I don't leave without having spent at least $60! Well, all except iTunes--but I can see myself reaching the $60 mark there before too long if I spend too much time there. ;)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:10 pm

I'm an Amazon addict, myself. I have to be extremely careful not to go there very often. Same with iTunes, Cost Plus World Market (our international food/wine/gifts store in town) and Huckleberry's (our high-end organic food store). I go to any one of those places and I don't leave without having spent at least $60! Well, all except iTunes--but I can see myself reaching the $60 mark there before too long if I spend too much time there. ;)

Amazon is very cheap- I cannot get over all the out of print Keats books going at cheap prices! :D

I like organic food shops too- I go to one fortnightly for an order of organic fruit and veg- it's £10 and lasts me about two weeks so it's not a bad price.Ii object to food that's been laced with chemicals- how dare they lace my food with chemicals.. :evil:
Sorry, I'm doing a rodomontade again!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Next

Return to Keats around the world