ON THE SHORE OF THE WIDE WORLD...

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

ON THE SHORE OF THE WIDE WORLD...

Postby jdb101 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:27 pm

Hello Keats fans -
I'm in Chicago and am very excited to be directing the North American premiere of the Simon Stephen's play ON THE SHORE OF THE WIDE WORLD - the Title and primary themes taken from the Keats sonnet "When I have dreams that I may cease to be"

The play is lovely, and poetic, and follows three generations of the Holmes family in Stockport UK, through 9 months of 2004. They have all reached a critical point where they are questioning who they are in the world and how their lives will be viewed by others. The final stanza of the poem is quoted by one of the characters, in response to their situation. I found an enormous amount of inspiration diving back into the poetry of Keats and hope that the beautiful ethos created by the sonnet has seeped its way into the production. (I've set it all in an abandoned hotel filled with empty chairs - decaying human possibility, and yet retaining the possibility of hopeful rebirth...)

If you are interested, I certainly hope those of you within driving range would come and check it out. If there are enough of you, I would be more than happy to lead a talk back afterwards - A Keats related field trip? Dangerously close to a forum!

The play begins previews September 27th and runs through November 16th at the Theater Building Chicago.

It is presented by the Griffin Theatre Company, of which I am a proud member.

If you'd like more information, please go to griffintheatre.com.

I look forward to the discussion!
Jonathan Berry
jdb101

Return to Keats around the world