John Keats and Dan Simmons

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

John Keats and Dan Simmons

Postby LanvalsMaiden » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:05 am

I have just finished two books written by Dan Simmons. The first is entitled Hyperion and the second The Fall of Hyperion. I was curious if anyone had read these books and seen the extensie Keats references. Particularly in the second book?
"He to whom God has given knowledge
And the gift of speaking eloquently,
Must not keep silent nor conceal the gift,
But he must willingly display it."
- Marie de France
LanvalsMaiden

Postby Despondence » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:46 am

Sure....one would have to be rather blind to miss it! But you can't stop there, go ahead and read Endymion and The Rise of Endymion as well - you won't regret it ;)

There has not been any real discussion on Simmons Hyperion cantos on this forum, as far as I can remember, but it has been mentioned in several threads. Use the search engine and check out the old threads. There's a forum at Simmons website (http://www.dansimmons.com/forum.htm) where you'll find much more discussion on Hyperion, though much less on Keats :)

Ah....riight - read the other two books before you to this site!
Despondence

Postby Simon » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:22 pm

yes, in fact it was through reading the hyperion cantos that i became interested in keats. Its facsinating reading the books and recognising places/names/poems in the text. Does anyone know of any other books that use keats and his work in this way(or any other poets for that matter)?
Simon

Postby Bobo W » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:39 am

yes, in fact it was through reading the hyperion cantos that i became interested in keats.

Same with me. Simmons is very good. When I finished reading "Rise of Endymion" I began searching for Keats... a little lasy search, though.
Bobo W

Return to Keats around the world