Keats on the beeb

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Saturn » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:20 am

Nathaniel wrote: I could have bought any number of Jordan's autobiography though... :(

Two things will survive the apocalypse - rats and Jordan's jugs :lol:

Back to the programme - it was called simply 'The' Romantics yet there was absolutely no mention of the German 'Sturm und drang' movement of early Romantic poets like Schiller and Goethe who were massively influential on Coleridge in particular and by proxy on those who were influenced by him, Keats for one.

It made no mention of romantic painters like Haydon, Fuseli and Severn, or journalists like Lamb, Hazzlit and Hunt.

What of the French Romantics like the poet Baudelaire, the painter Delacroix, and ultimately, the composer Berlioz who was, if ANYONE ever was, was a fervent Romantic.

What of German composers like Schubert, Schumann etc.?

I suppose in a very short series you cannot mention all these aspects but the series taken as awhole seems to have been something of a bot of self-promotion - notice the great focus on Blake whose writings although now well-recognised were virtually unread in his lifetime.

[Ackroyd has written a biography of Blake which, sure enough, must have been reprinted as I've seen several copies in stores where there were none before :wink: ]
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Gilbert White

Postby Discovery » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:34 pm

Hey, I wasn't sure where to put this as it didn't seem to merit its own thread, so this seems as good a place as any!
On BBC4 at the moment (sorry to those not in the U.K! and to those who don't have digital) there is a really good series about the 18th century and how the ideas of that century shaped the modern world. Last night there was a programme presented by Michael Wood about Gilbert White, who they say was the fist ecologist. It came out that his books were read by Wordsworth and his ideas on the natural world were a great influence on the Romantics.
The naturalist Richard Mabey was a contributor, his book 'Flora Brittanica' is really worth a look at!
Hello by the way!
Discovery

Postby Saturn » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:16 pm

Hi there Nat [should we call you Nat, or Nate, or the full Nathaniel?].

Thanks I must have missed that show - sounds interesting.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Re: Gilbert White

Postby Malia » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:24 pm

Nathaniel wrote:Hey, I wasn't sure where to put this as it didn't seem to merit its own thread, so this seems as good a place as any!
On BBC4 at the moment (sorry to those not in the U.K! and to those who don't have digital) there is a really good series about the 18th century and how the ideas of that century shaped the modern world. Last night there was a programme presented by Michael Wood about Gilbert White, who they say was the fist ecologist. It came out that his books were read by Wordsworth and his ideas on the natural world were a great influence on the Romantics.
The naturalist Richard Mabey was a contributor, his book 'Flora Brittanica' is really worth a look at!
Hello by the way!

Hello Nathaniel :)
I've seen that program advertised on BBC's homepage (bbc.co.uk) and thought it looked really interesting. But alas, I'm from America and only have basic cable, so no BBC T.V. for me. Hey, that rhymed! :lol: Ok, time to get back to editing references. . .
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Discovery » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:17 am

Oh, Nat please! I only put my full name at first because I thought I should be formal for some reason :D
Discovery

Postby Saturn » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:19 am

I used my full name [surname and all] for about two years on here :lol:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Discovery » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:34 am

I'm going to have give myself a good name, i'll think on it. I think this side of forums is funny, I wrote a bad short story about it recently called 'Virtual Friends'.
Discovery

Postby Saturn » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:37 am

Only I can change your name - unless you re-register under a different e-mail address :wink:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:15 am

I'm going to change my name, too--on here, I'll be "Nina Venus."

:lol: :lol:

Sound mysterious?

No. I know. On Denise's most sophisticated day she might be like a cosmopolitan mouse...

:lol:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Credo Buffa » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:27 am

I personally think that usernames should purposely be more mundane than your own name, just so that if people ever learn your real name, they won't be disappointed. :P
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby dks » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:23 pm

Yes, I agree. I need to change my name--"dks," I think, is a pain to type...too many consonants...I think I'll just use my first name... :)
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Discovery » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:38 pm

OK, hence forward I will be known as 'Discovery' (If you wouldn't mind Saturn!). I wanted something vauge and I couldn't think of anything- at first I thought of working out a good anagram of John Keats and using that, but I never came up with anything good (or anything that made sense!). My great Uncle made a computer programme that generated anagrams, it was so much fun.
Discovery

Postby Saturn » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:09 pm

I'll see what I can do Discovery :D

EDIT:

Go to your profile page and you can change your name yourself Nat.

I have now given persmisson to anyone change their username if they so choose to do so.

[Just tell us all what your new name is :wink: ]
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Nightingale27 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:52 am

I'm from America and only have basic cable, so no BBC T.V. for me

I live in the US too, so I also didn't get to watch the show. I don't know if anyone knows about it, but on the BBC website, they have poetry recitations from the series of Keat's poetry. I really like listening to the recitations, especially "Ode to a Nightingale".

Well, if anyone is interested, the URL is:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/romantics/poems3.shtml

If someone else already posted this, I'm sorry. I tried looking, and I couldn't find if anyone did.
Develop interest in life as you see it; in people, things, literature, music - the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself."
-Henry Miller
Nightingale27

Postby Malia » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:59 am

Nightingale27 wrote:
I'm from America and only have basic cable, so no BBC T.V. for me

I live in the US too, so I also didn't get to watch the show. I don't know if anyone knows about it, but on the BBC website, they have poetry recitations from the series of Keat's poetry. I really like listening to the recitations, especially "Ode to a Nightingale".

Well, if anyone is interested, the URL is:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/romantics/poems3.shtml

If someone else already posted this, I'm sorry. I tried looking, and I couldn't find if anyone did.

Cool!! I'm going to have to download these to my iPod when I get home :) Thanks for the link!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Keats around the world