Group Online Chat and Letters

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Group Online Chat and Letters

Postby Fortuna » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:41 am

As an off-shoot to the discussions in the Keats Society thread, may I suggest we bring some of these ideas to life?

I know some of us have indicated that they don't know many people who appreciate Keats in their local areas, myself included, and I think it is about time that we took advantage of the technologies available and make a real, social discussion about Keats or anything else happen.

• The first was suggested by Malia to have either a live or text chat online such as via Wimba or Skype.
  • The second was suggested by myself to send a trail of letters around the world to all interested members of the forums where the last person can scan and upload the entire collection for everyone to see.

If you could indicate your interest in participating in either or both, or suggestions for changes and improvements, we'll be much better placed to go from there and get this diverse group of Keats admirers actually talking about him in type or ink :).
"Call’d him soft names in many a mused rhyme,
To take into the air my quiet breath"
Fortuna

Re: Group Online Chat and Letters

Postby Malia » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:35 pm

Hi Fortuna,
I'm interested in both ideas, myself. I'll be away from my computer for two weeks starting Friday (I'll be in Britain), but after that I'm willing to be involved in whatever is decided.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:16 pm

I LOVE the letters idea Fortuna! After all our dear John Keats loved writing letters and it's more personal!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby BrokenLyre » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:54 am

Malia, have a great, blessed and fruitful time in England! I am sure you will love it - and I won't tell you how jealous I am for your opportunity! :) I look forward to hearing from you when you return. I'm sure we all look forward to it. Stay healthy and drain the marrow out of your experience!

Oh yes....I too like both ideas, but the letter idea is really a clever one.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Malia » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:25 pm

Thanks for your good wishes, BrokenLyre! I hope to take some great pictures of various Keats haunts. I will be visiting Burns' cottage while I'm in Ayr and I expect I'll travel across at least some of the area Keats and Brown did on their walking tour. I hope to visit Poet's Corner at Westminster Abbey and Keats House will be the very last stop on my tour the Friday afternoon before heading back to the States. Great way to cap off a vacation, I think :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby BrokenLyre » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:45 pm

Poets Corner in Westminster Abbey!!?? I didn't know it was called that. In the year 2000, I went to England with a group and walked through Westminster Abbey. There was a huge crown in the Abbey and you had to jockey for position to see anything. Suddenly, and very unexpectedly, I came across a wall with stone plaques with the names of poets! I couldn't believe my eyes - since I never expected this. I stood and stared at that wall for about 10 minutes reciting Keats! My heart was bursting as I stared at that wall. I couldn't take my eyes off it. Thanks for reminding me of that wonderful moment. Poet's Corner.

Unfortunately, in 2000, I didn't know about Keats House, but I was with a group that wanted to see other things anyway (we only had 1 day in London), so I never saw it! I am regretting it still. So take pictures, and absorb the moments, they are so fleeting.
Last edited by BrokenLyre on Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Fortuna » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:57 am

I'm so pleased we have a few of us interested, thank you so much Malia, Raphael and Broken Lyre. It would be my pleasure to write our little coterie some letters!

I will contact you all by PM to work out postal addresses, but if anyone else would like to join in, it is definitely not too late.

Your holiday sounds marvellous, Malia! I hope you plan on taking some more photographs and sharing them with us. I am so thrilled for you! I too, can relate to being totally enraptured as you were, BrokenLyre.
"Call’d him soft names in many a mused rhyme,
To take into the air my quiet breath"
Fortuna

Return to Keats around the world