Keats Society

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Keats Society

Postby dks » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:26 am

Well...reluctant as I am to post this, I will. :oops:

Wouldn't it be great if we started a Keats charter? A Keats Society that met once a year in a specified location--for Keats's poetry, life stories, pin curls, and much merriment?

I figured the natural place to do it would be London--and if no one wants to show--I'll be the only one there--at the hotel bar, nipping vodka and cranberry juice and quoting Keats by my lonesome.

Seriously, though--I know $ comes to mind first thing for everyone, but I also know that in January (low travel season peak) a round trip ticket to London from the US is under $600--and travel within Europeis not near as exensive as international flight rates. 'Course, there would be at least 1 year to 9 months notice...and lodging could be worked out with group discount rates--I'd host and plan...

*say like that teacher in Ferris Bueller's Day Off* Anyone? Anyone?

Just an idea...Idealists are annoying, I know. I just figured, hell, probably one or two guys started the Star Trek convention--and now it's frickin' huge. :lol:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Credo Buffa » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:34 am

Dude.

That'd be AWESOME!

Though, being an idealist myself, I have to keep in mind that the idea is definitely one thing, where the actual execution is another. I personally can't vouch for my being able to afford it, at least not at this point in my life.

That being said, it'd still be a goal to work toward. :D
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby dks » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:12 am

Credo Buffa wrote:Dude.

That'd be AWESOME!

Though, being an idealist myself, I have to keep in mind that the idea is definitely one thing, where the actual execution is another. I personally can't vouch for my being able to afford it, at least not at this point in my life.

That being said, it'd still be a goal to work toward. :D

Wouldn't it, though? There are ways to work out rates/fares...I'd have to know enough folks were interested, though. :?
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Credo Buffa » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:24 am

Well, I happen to know that there's a very nice hostel in Hampstead for inexpensive lodging :wink:
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby dks » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:49 am

Credo Buffa wrote:Well, I happen to know that there's a very nice hostel in Hampstead for inexpensive lodging :wink:

and there ya go...Credo is already helping to make the first Keats Society convention affordable... :wink:
dks
Dante

Postby Fortuna » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:52 am

:shock:

You know, every time I recall a conversation that took place in this forum, I don't exactly envision the blue tables and emoticons. I always see us talking animatedly in a cosy booth in one of the pubs that Keats himself used to visit. :D

Well, if something was organised, I'd start saving :P.
"Call’d him soft names in many a mused rhyme,
To take into the air my quiet breath"
Fortuna

Postby Fortuna » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:23 am

I should mention that I think it's a wonderful idea and would be delighted if something like this could be done. Besides, I'm far more charming in real life than I am online. :wink:

Maybe I could kill two birds with one stone and get eloped in London. :lol: It'd be great if there was some place I could do it near Hampstead and Keats himself can be a guest.
Fortuna

Postby Malia » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:34 am

I'd love to do go, too. I could probably make it work, if given enough notice. It certainly would be worth the investment :) Who knows?
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:51 am

Fortuna wrote:I should mention that I think it's a wonderful idea and would be delighted if something like this could be done. Besides, I'm far more charming in real life than I am online. :wink:

I'm exactly the opposite: unbearably shy, withdrawn, and dreadfully dull and uninteresting in person :roll:

No, seriously.

How much would it cost you to fly all the way to London, Fortuna? That's halfway around the world! :shock:
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Malia » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:29 am

Credo Buffa wrote:
I'm exactly the opposite: unbearably shy, withdrawn, and dreadfully dull and uninteresting in person :roll:

Ah, but that's only before your first pint, right? ;) Seriously, I have a hard time believing you're as dull as you say you are.

How much would it cost you to fly all the way to London, Fortuna? That's halfway around the world! :shock:

Yes, that's my question, too!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Fortuna » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:37 am

Credo Buffa wrote:I'm exactly the opposite: unbearably shy, withdrawn, and dreadfully dull and uninteresting in person :roll:

Well shyness is definitely not uncommon and even if you don't drink then surely it wouldn't take you long to get back to your real self again :). I have never been to London, let alone in Keats' footsteps at Hampstead. I'd imagine that if I were there, I'd either lose sense of myself and die of excitement or be stunned speechless :D.

Credo Buffa wrote:How much would it cost you to fly all the way to London, Fortuna? That's halfway around the world! :shock:

Yes, I checked... it's not too bad. Return airfares to London would set me back about $2000 in January.
Fortuna

Postby dks » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:39 am

Fortuna, that much?? Hmmmmm. We can somehow plan this and make it happen...

I need to sleep--when I wake up tomorrow, I'll hatch some plans...

Wouldn't we have FUN???? :shock: :lol:
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:40 pm

This would be amazing - I've been thinking of this idea for years - what if say in 2021 we all meet at the Keats-Shelley House in Rome for the bi-centennial of Keats death.

Maybe by then I'll have a job and some sort of sense :lol:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:15 pm

Yikes, Fortuna! That'd be an investment! It'd be worth it, though, to finally get to see London :D

How old would I be in 2021. . . ? I'd just have turned 38 :shock:
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby dks » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:36 pm

Credo Buffa wrote:Yikes, Fortuna! That'd be an investment! It'd be worth it, though, to finally get to see London :D

How old would I be in 2021. . . ? I'd just have turned 38 :shock:

Alright now :? 38 is not that old!! I'm three years from that myself!!

2021 is too long...I think we could pull this off...if everyone can jelly up their airfare--I can try to get us a low discount rate for lodging--which can be pooled together. Where there's a will--there's a way.

Think of it. You all can be telling your grandkids one day...*say in old person's voice*
"Sorry, sonny, Mi maw (or Pa paw) can't go to your fencing tournament this year--I've got my Keats Society convention in January!" And the whole room will :roll: roll their eyes saying, "Aw, you and your Keats Society--how long have you guys been meeting now? 20 years? What exactly do you guys do there?"

And that'll be our little secret... :wink: :lol:
dks
Dante

Next

Return to Keats around the world