Amy Lowell and Keats

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Amy Lowell and Keats

Postby Aquarius » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:50 am

Last edited by Aquarius on Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
It appears to me that almost any man may like the spider spin from his own inwards his own airy citadel.
Aquarius

Re: Amy Lowell and Keats

Postby BrokenLyre » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:36 am

Thanks Aquarius for the poems in Lowell's biography. I have the volumes but have not yet read them. I am reading Hewitt's 1938 version and loving it. She is so delightful to read, it is fast becoming my favorite biography. She tends to include fascinating pieces of Keats and his environment that no one else seems to. Lovely read.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Re: Amy Lowell and Keats

Postby Saturn » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:22 pm

Hmm nice fluffy poem, but she seems still enamoured of the Victorian prettified, Shelleyan picture of Keats as some weak child [boyish he may have been in spirit in some ways but not a prepubescent cherub].

I despair of this image of Keats, and I suspect he would be appalled by it himself.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Return to Keats around the world