Visit to Keats House

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Visit to Keats House

Postby Malia » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:27 am

Loch Lomond, which Keats walked by on his tour with Brown . . .

And finally, Burns Cottage--we only got an outside view of its backside, unfortunately. It was closed for remodeling when we chanced a visit.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby BrokenLyre » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:06 am

Thank you Malia for the incredible pictures!! The beauty was truly captured by your photos. I was especially moved by the Keats house with the red foliage in front and Loch Lomond. It just stunned me to see this. I could see Keats in my mind sitting to draw the Lock for his brothers.... What a privilege you had. The day looked lovely - and Hampstead Heath!! Oh what a sight to see them walk down those lanes.

These are keepers.
Thank you!!
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Saturn » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:42 pm

Lovely pictures Malia, thanks for sharing them.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:24 pm

Thaanks for the wonderful photos Malia! I particuarly loved the one of you outside his wondow and the pathways in the Heath.I plan to go the the House myself in Spring/Summer. I've never been to Scotland either- but always wanted to go.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby BrokenLyre » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:36 am

You go Raphael! I would love to hear your take on your visit too! That would be fun.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:41 pm

BrokenLyre wrote:You go Raphael! I would love to hear your take on your visit too! That would be fun.

Believe me BL- I'll be harping on about it for months afterwards :lol:

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:37 pm

I'm looking forward to reading your impressions of Keats House, Raphael! :D
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:53 pm

Malia wrote:I'm looking forward to reading your impressions of Keats House, Raphael! :D

Keep your fingers crossed I get a paid job soon so I can go Malia- I've been in unpaid work for nearly 2 years... :(

p.s What is the shop like in Keats House ? Can one buy prints of dear JK?

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:26 pm

The shop is small, but nice. You can get mugs, books, postcards, CDs, and other touristy bric-a-brac but mostly tasteful.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:06 pm

Yes, as Saturn says, the shop is extremely small and is located in what was the dining area of Fanny's side of the house. (When I visited in '95, the room was set up as a dining area and the gift shop was located in the basement.) Although my memory might not be accurate, I thought there was more merchandise for sale back in '95. For instance, there were several posters of Keats for sale--but I didn't see *any* on my trip in November. There is a bookcase with new books on Keats and another containing used books for sale. Like Saturn says, most of the items for sale are tastefully done. There seems to be a focus on items to do with Ode to a Nightingale and Bright Star (for obvious reasons). For instance, the only mug for sale was white with the beginning lines of Bright Star written on it in Keats's handwriting. (Of course I bought it! :lol: )
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:55 pm

Hmm I got a mug with 'Keats House' on it. This was just before Bright Star was released so maybe they've brought in all the movie tie-in memorabilia shortly afterwards.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:30 pm

I somehow knew it'd be tasteful, just like our dear poet!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Maureen » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:36 pm

Just read through this thread and really enjoyed it - thanks for sharing Maia. I am lucky in two respects: first, I often visit London and have been to Keats House a few times - I love Hampstead; second, I live in Shanklin where John stayed on his second visit to the Isle of Wight. About ten minutes walk from my house is Eglantine Cottage and Shanklin Chine. If anyone would like photos / description of the area posted I would be only too happy.
Maureen

Postby Raphael » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:42 pm

Maureen wrote:Just read through this thread and really enjoyed it - thanks for sharing Maia. I am lucky in two respects: first, I often visit London and have been to Keats House a few times - I love Hampstead; second, I live in Shanklin where John stayed on his second visit to the Isle of Wight. About ten minutes walk from my house is Eglantine Cottage and Shanklin Chine. If anyone would like photos / description of the area posted I would be only too happy.

Oh yes- I would love to see your photos!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:51 pm

I would love to see your photos, Maureen! It would be neat to learn more about where you live, especially for we who live thousands of miles away :)

This gets me to thinking--totally off topic here (might re-post this idea in another section) that it would be neat to have pictures up and perhaps a little summary of each of the places we who visit the Keats message boards live. Just an idea of the city and maybe a few photos of favorite places. I'd love to know more about where everyone else here comes from :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Keats around the world