Keats House Events

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Keats House Events

Postby Malia » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:09 pm

Hi Everyone,
Thought I'd start a new thread to post events that will be happening at Keats House for any of you who happen to be fortunate enough to live nearby :) And I thought those of us who *don't* live nearby might be curious to see what's going on over there anyway!

I would *love* to be able to attend this:

We wish you all a very happy new year and invite you to our Twelfth Night celebrations at Keats House on Tuesday 5 January at 7 pm.

A Victorian Twelfth Night; with our traditional Mumming Play, wassailing the fruit trees, ghost stories, poetry, mulled wine and Twelfth Night cake.

£6/£4.

Details of access are available on our website.
http://www.keatshouse.cityoflondon.gov.uk/

By the way, what exactly is a "Mumming Play"; does anyone know? :?
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Re: Keats House Events

Postby Sid13 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:51 am

A mumming play was a street performance by a troupe of actors in masks, hence called mummers. They were mostly humorous takes on traditional stories. They date to late medieval times, were still popular in Keats's day, and I think there are still some performed today, if only as a sort of historical curiosity. And they were performed around Christmas to Twelfth Night. I hope that helps, Malia. That's about all I know about mummers.
Sid13

Postby Malia » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:20 am

It does help, Sid13 :) Thanks for the info--it's really interesting. Now I really wish I could be there for the 12th Night party.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:20 pm

Eve of St Agnes - Poetry Reading

The Keats House Poetry Ambassadors read this iconic poem and other works of John Keats.

This poetry reading on Friday 22 January from 3 to 4 pm at Keats House is free with an admission ticket to the house (valid for one year). Details of access and admission are available here.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:03 pm

Oh how I would LOVE to be there...
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:57 pm

Oh how I wish I lived closer to Keats House! For those of you who live in and around London, here are a few Keats House events celebrating the Valentine's season :)

Love Makes The World Go Round

Join the Keats House Poetry Ambassadors as they travel round the world of romantic poetry.

This poetry reading at Keats House on Thursday 11 February from 7 to 8.30 pm is free with an admission ticket to the house (valid for one year). Details of access and admission can be found here.

Love AND Chocolates

Come along to the romantic setting of Keats House and have fun creating and sharing your stories and poems. The session is open to all and absolute beginners are particularly welcome. There will be real chocolate! Part of Love Week funded by the DIUS Transformation Fund.

This workshop at Keats House on Sunday 14 February from 2 to 4.30 pm is free but you must book in advance on 020 7332 3868.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:16 pm

Damn I'll be in, or staying near London from the 20th of February. I seem to keep missing these events there. :roll:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:11 pm

I wish I was well off enough to live in Hampstead- I would be at Keats House nearly every week!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Keats around the world