Random Keats Sightings

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Keats relating painting

Postby Discovery » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:06 pm

Hello everyone, i've been long absent from this board!
I was flicking through a book of 19th Century English painting two days ago and my eyes popped out when I saw a painting of the grave of all that was mortal of a young English poet. It is by a man called William Bell Scott, painted in 1873. He also did one of Shelley's grave too. Its not the greatest painting, there is no great sense of emotion or atmosphere - the image is taken from Adonais it says in the book.
Discovery

Postby Saturn » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:23 pm

Welcome back Discovery I remember you, don't worry :P
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby AsphodelElysium » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:44 pm

Keats made another appearance on Jeopardy. The category was Authors on Authors and Keats was the answer to the last question about who Byron thought was "snuffed out by an article."

My friend Michelle was also entertaining us the other day by reading aloud the best of Craigslist. Imagine my surprise when Keats showed up there. I'll put the link below. Warning, though, it is somewhat vulgar, so if you are sensitive to those things you probably shouldn't read it, but I thought it was funny.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/mad/416197979.html
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:58 pm

Hmmmm :?
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby AsphodelElysium » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:06 pm

Shocking isn't it? That someone who is familiar with Keats could still be so, well...you know. You'd think Keats's sensitivity would rub off on them.
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:22 pm

I'm not shocked really.

Keats was a bit of a sensualist too remember :wink:

But that's a whole other discussion, one that almost came to blows on this site once :lol:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:36 pm

Speaking of sensualism, I just watched an episode of Californication where Hank quoted from La bell dame sans merci.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:52 pm

Californi--what?? :) Is that a British or Irish show? If so, I'd be interested to know how they portray Americans (just for curiousity's sake, you know).
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:35 pm

Malia wrote:Californi--what?? :) Is that a British or Irish show? If so, I'd be interested to know how they portray Americans (just for curiousity's sake, you know).

What?

Haven't you heard of this show?

It's named after a Red Hot Chili Peppers song and album.

It's a US show with David [Mulder] Duchovny as the shall we say sexually voracious writer in L.A. who's suffering from writer's block.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Californic ... _series%29

Great show, honestly. The writing is fantastic.

Not one for those easily offended by sex and swearing though...
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:04 pm

Wow, I totally missed that show. Well, I guess it's no surprise, as I only get basic cable (a lot of public television and the basic network channels). I'm glad David D. is working on another show--I've always liked him (and the fact that he was a geeky English major at school doesn't hurt ;) ).
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:19 pm

He's very good in this, very funny and smart.

Its probably out on DVD there, we usually only get US shows a year after they were aired :roll:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:59 pm

A few random Keats sightings for you.
Yet again, Keats was used as a "question" on Jeopardy. He was the $1000 clue in round one (making him the hardest clue in the British Poets category)--but man, it was so eaaaasy to answer. They mentioned a Romantic poet who wrote La Belle Dame Sans Merci. . .hmmm. . .could it be--Byron?? :lol:

Then on the radio today, I heard a report about (if I remember correctly--I was driving and not fully concentrating on the story) two people running for president in South Africa. One of them (name slips my mind) is conisdered a well-read and poetical-type personality who often quotes Shakespeare and Keats.

And, in one of my Leadership books, there was a mention of Shakespeare and Keats (again, mentioned together).

Seems strange that I'd see Keats and Shakespeare mentioned together *twice* in two totally different places--I suppose people tend to associate them, which is a high tribute to Keats, I think!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:56 pm

I just received my second Miles Davis CD--'Round About Midnight--in the mail and looking through an insert describing his 10 best albums, I discovered the following--written about his most popular album, Kind of Blue:

Kind of Blue
The Bible of Modern jazz. The greatest-selling pure jazz album of all time. Davis and company open the music up for as far as the ear can hear. Simplicity of structures and complexity of solos mesh perfectly. In the timeless phrase of Keats, "Beauty is truth, truth beauty."

So Keats tops off a description of jazz! Pretty interesting, the places Keats pops up. By the way, Kind of Blue is an *excellent* jazz album from the cool jazz era. I highly recommend it.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:52 pm

That's excellent, Miss Malia...

In a famous Hugh Grant movie (I believe it's Bridget Jones's Diary) he is in a row boat and it begins to topple over as he's quoting Keats--he proceeds to exclaim in the scene, "I f**cking love Keats!"

Also...after reading an interview with Daniel Radcliffe (aka Harry Potter) he told the interviewer he has lately decided to study poetry/literature because of his obsession with, you guessed it, Keats...

Yes...our man has a rippling effect everywhere...and so he rightly should... :wink:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Malia » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:26 pm

That is so cool, dks! I don't remember hearing Hugh Grant make that statement in Bridget Jones' Diary. And, dude, if it was a quote that focused on Keats, you'd think I'd remember it! :lol:

Good to know 'ol Harry Potter is a Keats fan ;) He is certainly at the age when a passion for Keats can take hold. I found that my interest in Keats reached its peak in my early to mid 20's. And, although I certainly think Keats is for all ages, there's something about being in your 20's and Keats. . .maybe it is because that's the age he was when he grappled with his life's questions.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Keats around the world