Random Keats Sightings

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Credo Buffa » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:48 am

dks wrote:or, better yet, watch "The Sandlot." That's a great movie about how American kids learn to seamlessly weave baseball into their culture and upbringing. :wink:

The Sandlot was my favorite movie when I was a kid. Definitely a contemporary American classic. :D
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby dks » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:01 am

Wasn't that movie awesome, though?! I love the way those kids stand up to the other baseball bullies and they play the put down game...too classic! :lol:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:45 am

I've seen loads of baseball movies and stuff like that but I suppose like with Soccer [or football as we call it] you'll never really grasp it unless you are brought up with it and it permeates your culture to such a degree as it does over there.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:23 pm

True. I think, though, that America is trying to catch the soccer fever, we are getting into it here like we never did before for certain. I don't think I knew more people than I did this year who followed the World Cup...it was actually on in the pizzerias and whatnot---whereas it's usually baseball you see on at this time of year, or football training camp footage--ahhh, yes!! We Americans LOVE our NFL!! I'm no exception!! :lol:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Credo Buffa » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:46 pm

I noticed that this year as well, that it seemed that people were more interested in the World Cup than before. It seemed that sports reports were trying to help them out, too, with more updates and coverage. However, my dad made an excellent observation that soccer/football will never take off with the general population in the US because the games are so continuous that they don't allow for commercial breaks, and thus it is unlikely that any television station will be interested in broadcast rights. :roll: Sad, yes, but probably true.

But y'know, it's not just the US that has a love affair with baseball. Of course, this is where all the big stuff happens, but it is also an extremely popular sport throughout Latin America and even Japan (I'm pretty sure Japan has its own league, and my Japanese roommate one year had several pictures from a baseball game that looked like it could be in any MLB stadium in the US, except for the fact that everyone was Japanese, of course!). . . oh, and Canada, eh! :wink: So many of the best players in the majors aren't American, and that's great testimony to how popular baseball is in other parts of the world. :D You just need to catch the fever, Saturn. :wink:
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:20 pm

It's not going to happen dude :lol:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:25 pm

Awww, you're no fun. :cry:
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:44 pm

Sorry but I prefer playing sports to watching them.

I started some tennis lessons today :D

I'm terrible at it :?
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:05 pm

Saturn wrote:I started some tennis lessons today :D

I'm terrible at it :?

Well, you can't be a pro without practice. And I have to admit, Saturn, I'm not a huge baseball fan, either. I think I'm turned off by the idea of rampant steroid use and outrageous paychecks (the pay thing, I guess, is rampant throughout professional sports--thus, I don't watch much professional sports).

But I do like to watch college basketball and am especially enamoured of the Gonzaga Bulldogs (Go Zags!). Sure, there's a lot of money and deals floating around college sports, too, but at *least* the players have to *pretend* they're getting an education at the same time ;) and few college players are mega-stars.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:54 pm

What? You don't like rampant steriod use and giant paychecks?? Aww, you're no fun, Malia! :wink: :lol:

Sad, though, isn't it? There have so many great sports figures out there who don't use that sh**t and they are still gifted athletes--like Michael Jordan--or, Roger Clemmons... :wink:

Go 'Stros!! :lol: :lol:
dks
Dante

Postby Malia » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:12 pm

I was searching bbc.co.uk and found an article about a woman with a port-wine colored birthmark on her face who had learned to accept herself and her birthmark as beautiful. One of the responses to the article was the following:

My aunt has a port wine birthmark covering her right eye, and while I am certain it caused her no small amount of angst growing up, now it is part of what makes her so unique and beautiful. It reminds me of Keats, "Beauty is truth, truth beauty" - so let everyone show their truly beautiful selves proudly to the world.
Dan, Denver, Colorado USA via Barcelona, Spain

I think Keats would agree with Dan. :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:19 pm

Lovely story Malia :D
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:55 pm

I just saw Keats quoted on the food page at bbc.co.uk.

They were showcasing the seasonal foods of autumn and of course, Keats's To Autumn set the tone perfectly :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:24 pm

Damn the BBC for appropriating Keats :evil: :lol:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:40 pm

Have a few bucks burning a hole in your pocket? Why not buy this on Amazon.com?

OK, not even *I* love Keats *that* much. :lol: They could have at least spent a little more on the artwork :roll: ;)

http://www.amazon.com/I-Love-John-Keats-Mug/dp/B000J5QOBA/sr=8-9/qid=1161714469/ref=sr_1_9/102-3649137-9042525?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Keats around the world