Random Keats Sightings

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:29 pm

The funny thing is (and I'll try to outline the situation without giving too much away, for anyone who might still be interested in seeing the movie) that, at the beginning of the movie, Carrie is reading to Big from a particular book and I was wondering, "Hmmm, I wonder if Keats is in that book anywhere. . . ?" And sure enough he gets a nod later in the movie! I just thought, "Score! I'm so on this." :P
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:02 pm

Not even a passing mention of Keats could get me along to watch that movie :roll: :lol:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Re: Random Keats Sightings

Postby Malia » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:11 pm

Hello everyone :) I had a chance encounter with Keats as I perused the Writer's Almanac today. Usually, the Almanac only talks about authors who are having a birthday. But today Keats is having an anniversary--of sorts. According to the Almanac, today marks the end of the last truly happy period in Keats's life. Here's what the Almanac has to say about it:

From the Writer's Almanac for August 8, 2008
And today is the anniversary of the end of one of the last truly happy periods of John Keats's life (books by this author). It was on this day in 1818, Keats finished a long walking tour through Northern England, Ireland, and Scotland. John Keats was 23 years old. He'd planned to become a surgeon, but he realized his real vocation was poetry, and in the spring of 1818, he published his first major long poem, Endymion. And then he set out on a hike through the countryside with his friend Charles Brown. Wordsworth was one of Keats's favorite poets, and he knew that Wordsworth had been inspired by walking around England, so Keats decided to do the same that summer.

Keats was a London boy. He had never seen the mountains. He had never seen a waterfall. He wrote letters back to his brother about the wonderful things that he saw, but gradually on his hike he realized he was no Wordsworth, that he did not want to write about scenery. He hated descriptions. He was more interested in the people whom he saw along the way. He was fascinated by the peasants who walked barefoot on the roads, carrying their shoes and stockings so they would look nice when they got to town. He saw an old woman being carried along the road in a kind of a cage like a dog kennel, smoking a pipe.

He came back to London and learned that the reviews of Endymion were coming in, and critics had written ferocious attacks on him. He was crushed. And his brother had come down with a serious case of tuberculosis. His brother died in December, and by the end of that year, John Keats had contracted tuberculosis himself. He would die three years later, in 1821. It was in those last three years of his life that he wrote most of his greatest poems.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:58 pm

Very interesting, Malia! I always knew that the walking tour had a major effect on Keats, but I had never considered it to be one of the last happy experiences he ever had. The idea makes its significance even more profound, doesn't it?
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:10 pm

Trying to find more information about Bright Star, I found a bit of old news but something I'd missed, a statue of Keats unvieled at Guy's hospital:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2984

Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:38 pm

I'm going to London at the end of the month and hopefully will be able to see this statue and no doubt pose beside it in the flesh. :mrgreen:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Lolita.Spanky » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:25 am

I'm going to London at the end of the month and hopefully will be able to see this statue and no doubt pose beside it in the flesh.

That. Is. So. Awesome.
I should leave school and meet you there :lol:
I love London, it's such a pretty place to shop...I mean er, take in the local sights and sounds :lol:
I said to my soul, be still , and wait without hope, for hope would be hope for the wrong thing.
Lolita.Spanky

Postby Malia » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:17 pm

Another Keats sighting at the Writer's Almanac website:

It was on this day in 1819 that John Keats wrote the last of his odes, "To Autumn," which the critic Harold Bloom called "as close to perfect as any shorter poem in the English Language." The ode begins:

Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness,
Close bosom-friend of the maturing sun;
Conspiring with him how to load and bless
With fruit the vines that round the thatch-eves run;
To bend with apples the moss'd cottage-trees,
And fill all fruit with ripeness to the core
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby SnuggleKeats » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:21 pm

Was watching the Sex and the City film the other day. A bit too girly for me, but as I loved the show, I had to know what happened. Anyway, I didn't cry through the whole thing - which is surprising because I've got my own lost love turmoil continually broiling in the back of my mind and ready to become tearful condensation at any point - and I was doing okay and then Big sent Carrie historical love letters and she mentioned that one of them was Keats' and I started thinking about his letters to Fanny and might've shed a tear or two.

I'm always happily surprised to find him in random places I don't expect him. He's omnipresent!
"Ink runs from the corners of my mouth.
There is no happiness like mine.
I have been eating poetry."
SnuggleKeats

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:31 pm

Ha ha, I mentioned the very same Keats sighting above. ;)
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Credo Buffa » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:24 pm

I've recently become addicted to online crossword puzzles, and a certain someone showed up in one of today's clues. Check out 45 across: http://puzzles.usatoday.com/
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:48 pm

I nearly regurgitated my dinner when I saw this unexpectedly on my TV screen...

'To Autumn' - on a Supermarket advertising campaign :shock:

http://www.waitrose.com/autumn/video.aspx

:x
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:46 pm

Wow that is too cool, Saturn! I wish advertising in America was as poetical ;)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby SidewalkProphet » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:07 pm

I have just started reading part two of Philip Pullmans His Dark Materials trilogy and never thought I'd come across Keats amidts the talk of dark matter and other worlds but lo and behold up he cropped when a scientist was talking about a certain state of mind, she says...

"'...capable of being in uncertainties, mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact and reason-" You have to get into that state of mind. That's from the poet Keats by the way. I found it the other day."

:) xx
SidewalkProphet

Postby AsphodelElysium » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:12 pm

SidewalkProphet wrote:I have just started reading part two of Philip Pullmans His Dark Materials trilogy and never thought I'd come across Keats amidts the talk of dark matter and other worlds but lo and behold up he cropped when a scientist was talking about a certain state of mind, she says...

"'...capable of being in uncertainties, mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact and reason-" You have to get into that state of mind. That's from the poet Keats by the way. I found it the other day."

:) xx

I haven't got to book 2 yet, but that's awesome. I knew Pullman studied literature and His Dark Materials was a direct reference to Milton, but its cool he's pulling in other literary references.
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

PreviousNext

Return to Keats around the world