Random Keats Sightings

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Random Keats Sightings

Postby BrokenLyre » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:06 am

Now I gotta see that movie Cath. Thanks
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby topazio » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:31 pm

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum. I'd like to add my random sighting of JK - in the TV show 'American Horror Story' one of the characters, Hayden, says to Tate:

"Look at 'Little Lord Fauntleroy'". Writing sorrowful sonnets in your head to that little Nightingale bitch? Adieu, nightingale! Thy plaintive anthem fades."
Tate: "That’s Keats."
Hayden: "Who cares! You're like a girl sulking down here in the basement instead of doing something about what's really bothering you."

Of course, when I was watching the show with my other half, I got there first and I was shouting 'it's Keats, it's Keats!' :D
topazio

Postby Saturn » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:55 pm

Ah good find topazio, and you're very welcome; anyone that gets excited by the mention of Keats is always welcome.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:55 pm

Welcome Topazio- amazing where Keats turns up!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:24 am

He keeps being mentioned in an ad on Classic FM radio- i must pay more attention so I can write down what is said!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:51 pm

Just now, on the Vinyl Cafe http://www.cbc.ca/vinylcafe/home.php, a Canadian radio show, Stuart McLean mentioned our guy in his weekly "Dave and Morley" story. This week the story was about Stephanie, Dave and Morley's daughter, who was the less-than-happy recipient of a trip to London to visit an elderly aunt.

The show may be available later as a podcast for those who are interested. (This story wasn't about Keats; it was about Stephanie's adventures in London.)
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Cath » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:37 am

I saw the new film "Liberal Arts" last week - it's about a 35 year-old college professor who becomes attracted to a vivacious, bookish 19-year-old student. I'm pleased to say that Keats is not only mentioned, his 'Ode on a Grecian Urn' is quoted!

On the film's website, Keats's ode is first on the list of recommended reading:
http://www.liberalartsfilm.com/#

The director and male lead of the film, Josh Radnor, also talks of Keats being his favourite poet and the impact of the Romantics on his development here:
http://www.kenyoncollegian.com/arts/josh-radnor-talks-memories-poetry-and-liberal-arts-1.2893744
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:53 pm

Not only is JK mentioned- but the student loves classical music- this is great! Nice to see characters in films who are cultured.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:53 pm

Cool, I've heard it's a great film.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby BrokenLyre » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:06 pm

Thanks for the movie input. I never heard of it - I will certainly look for it now.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Malia » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:31 pm

This is great to hear. Part of that movie was filmed at the Gonzaga University campus where I work and go to school. I remember when they shot some scenes last summer. :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:25 pm

Malia wrote:This is great to hear. Part of that movie was filmed at the Gonzaga University campus where I work and go to school. I remember when they shot some scenes last summer. :)

Your claim to fame being a Keatsian one- how cool!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Ennis » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:40 am

I'm finishing up a historical fiction novel (Jacob's Ladder) that's set against the American Civil War (or "The War Against Northern Aggression," as my Richmond, Virginia-born-and-bred grandmother called it). Confederate Major Duncan Gatewood and the girl he's courting, Sallie Kirkpatrick, are picnicing in (of all places!) Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond, discussing their plans for after The War:
" 'Sallie, you used to be such a pleasant, agreeable woman.'
'La Belle Dame Sans Merci, that's me.' Sallie laughed."
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:02 pm

I wonder how many readers would know what this was referring to? Seems the author knows... :D

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Ennis » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:16 am

Warning: This is a big s-t-r-e-t-c-h: I was watching an adaption of PDJames's "The Murder Room" on dvd this morning. The main character, Inspector Adam Dahlgish (sp?) is having trouble with his on-again-off-again girlfriend (who's an Eng. lit. professor at Cambridge [I think that was the university]). Anyway, her best friend doesn't think Adam is good enough for her (friend) and tries to convince her of that. In the course of the discussion, the friend says, "Why don't you just stick with your Romantic poet fantasy and snuggle up with a poem." Now, Keats wasn't specifically mentioned; however we can infer: Blake, Wordsworth, and Coleridge: too old; Byron=too debauched and self-absorbed; PBShelley=just not of this planet; so that leaves English literature's Golden Boy and our favourite poet!
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

PreviousNext

Return to Keats around the world