Keats on the Isle of Wight

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Keats on the Isle of Wight

Postby Maureen » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:25 am

No problem BrokenLyre - glad you like them. I'll take and post more when I have time.
Maureen

Postby juliebozza » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:12 pm

Hello, Maureen and fellow Keatsians!

I am lucky enough to be staying at the refurbished Keats Cottage in Shanklin, and am enjoying it very much. I am typing this from His bedroom! :D

This is a very quick question, in the hopes that someone can point me in the right direction over the next couple of days. Just before Charles Brown drew that lovely sketch of Keats here at what was Eglantine Cottage, they had apparently been out together sketching 'Shanklin Church'. Of course there are a number of churches in the vicinity, so I was wondering if anyone could point me to the correct one. I obviously didn't bring down enough research books!

Thank you in anticipation, and I hope to chat more soon.

cheers, Julie

ETA: I think I've worked out (via Wikipedia!) that it must have been St Blasius, though obviously in its medieval state, before 1859 when it was much rebuilt. Other churches in Shanklin seem to only date back to the late Victorian era. Still, if someone could confirm / deny / offer alternatives, that would be grand! Thank you. :)
juliebozza

Postby Cybele » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:50 pm

Well, juliebozza, I think we're all just a bit jealous.
If you took any photos while there, we'd love to see them.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Previous

Return to Keats around the world