Keats blog

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Keats blog

Postby Malia » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:08 am

Look what I found--Keats has his own blog on myspace.com :) :lol: It is very cute. Hmm. . .I knew myspace is a popular hangout--but little did I realize our favorite dead poet would be hanging out there ;)

http://www.myspace.com/johnkeats

I noticed that john-keats.com is mentioned at least once by visitors to the Keats blog. . .so there *are* lurkers out there. I hope you lurkers say "hi" sometime--we'd love to hear from you :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:30 pm

Bizarre :roll:

I see Shelley and Shakespeare are on myspace too :lol:

Its all rather sad isn't it?
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:25 pm

*chill up spine*

Yes, that was a little strange, but it's the thought that counts, perhaps? :shock: :?

I agree, Malia. Perhaps some of the lurkers will say "hi" one day and contribute to discussion.
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Re: Keats blog

Postby AhDistinctly » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:59 am

Malia wrote:I noticed that john-keats.com is mentioned at least once by visitors to the Keats blog. . .so there *are* lurkers out there. I hope you lurkers say "hi" sometime--we'd love to hear from you :)

dks wrote:I agree, Malia. Perhaps some of the lurkers will say "hi" one day and contribute to discussion.

WARNING: LONG post ahead!

Speaking as an habitual lurker, it is more than a little intimidating to join in on a discussion, especially in a tight-knit community such as this one.

A problem, if I may make an observation here, is the large number of threads that are inactive but open. If a discussion stopped on something six or ten months ago, should one still post a comment there? Or should a new topic be started?

Theoretically, I understand that a topic is never really closed if someone has something to add. However, as a practical matter, a forum archive might be worth considering. With lines clearly delineating “This is some of the stuff we’ve discussed in the past,” and “These are some topics we are discussing currently,” a newbie (like me!) may feel a bit more comfortable entering discussions without feeling the need to read through vast numbers of threads first.

A couple suggestions I would make:

(1) Compose a “Welcome to the Forum” message – one that is as lively and joyous as the discussions I see within the forum threads. You all really LOVE Keats. And your understanding of him – and a variety of other poets and art forms – is incredible. Distill all that wonder and delight into a message encouraging posts. (Recall, this thread is buried in the Keats Around the World section.)

(2) Have a particular section where people can introduce themselves. I think the immediate gratification of messages of welcome would do much to keep new posters coming back. Perhaps the regulars could start – the information is all in the forum already; why not distill it into a little paragraph about yourself (to the extent you wish to share with strangers, that is) and why you are in this forum? I’ve spent a lot of time reading threads, but I didn’t take notes, so I’m not sure I remember which of you are teachers; which are in school or just finished school; where you stand on the whole "gray" vs "grey" thing. :shock: That last one was just a joke. The point is, it helps understand the context in which each of you write.

What impressed me about this forum is that, although you don’t always agree with one another, you are always civil. You don't know how refreshing that is! :D It took about one day of browsing through forum postings to realize I wanted to share my thoughts here. (That is a record for me, as I am totally INTJ.) I don’t think I will be contributing much by way of analysis; I am here to absorb and understand. However, I do have a vested interest in seeing this forum thrive, so I plan to do my part by bring up questions and observations. Watch for some musings about “To the Nile” – coming soon!

NOTE TO SATURN: I do indeed realize that the actual theme of my post belongs in the feedback section. In my defense I would note that I am commenting on the posts by Malia and dks. And… SHORT hair, Saturn? :shock: :shock: :shock:
...perched and sat and nothing more...
AhDistinctly

Postby dks » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:41 am

Yes. Our little forum family is impressive, and you are welcome here AhDistinctly.

All of us here may not bother to address it, but we breathe Keats--he somehow has permeated who we are and helped shape the people we've become and continue to become.

Just a fact.

:wink:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Malia » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:17 pm

Great ideas, AhDistinctly :) I agree, there should be a place on the forum where new and interested people can be welcomed, introduce themselves and get a good feel for the site right off. I think we already have a lot of the things you mentioned--but they *are* burried in posts in various threads so it could take a lot of time for a new person to find them.

Thanks for your insights and for having the courage to post :) I hope more people out there will be willing to say "hi"--we are a welcoming group of folks.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby AhDistinctly » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Malia wrote:I think we already have a lot of the things you mentioned--but they *are* buried in posts in various threads so it could take a lot of time for a new person to find them.

Very true! And while the librarian/archivist in my looks at the forum as something to be conquored with categorization and organization, the archaeologist wanna-be in me loves the exploration and excavation!

While following some random thought today I did a Google search that pointed me to englishhistory.net/keats, which referenced John-Keats.com. Actually, it referred to "Thilo's Keats site," which prompted me to investigate who Thilo is and why I haven't seen that name come up in any posts of late. The last post was over a year ago. Thilo has a site (dedicated to poet Rainer Rilke) that LOOKS just like this Keats site. :?
AhDistinctly

Postby Saturn » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:08 pm

AhDistinctly wrote:
While following some random thought today I did a Google search that pointed me to englishhistory.net/keats, which referenced John-Keats.com. Actually, it referred to "Thilo's Keats site," which prompted me to investigate who Thilo is and why I haven't seen that name come up in any posts of late. The last post was over a year ago. Thilo has a site (dedicated to poet Rainer Rilke) that LOOKS just like this Keats site. :?

Thilo is the big Daddy, my co-admin.

He's a busy guy with his own sites so he just lets me get on with it here.

Your suggestions above are some good ideas for me to think about - not sure where to start.

What is most urgently needed here?
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby AhDistinctly » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:58 pm

I have a thought or two that I will put forward elsewhere. :oops:

I can see a definite case for having a policy against closing an old topic. The Keats in Translation thread has been very interesting reading. I’d love to get some comments from the Greek isles on some of the Classics in translation. :!: :!:
AhDistinctly

Re: Keats blog

Postby Credo Buffa » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:27 am

Malia wrote:Look what I found--Keats has his own blog on myspace.com :) :lol: It is very cute. Hmm. . .I knew myspace is a popular hangout--but little did I realize our favorite dead poet would be hanging out there ;)

I find myspace very sketchy. I'd hope Keats would be a bit more wary of such a webspace monster. :shock:
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Fortuna » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:55 pm

That is so creepy to see visitors referring to this account by his nickname like he's still alive and just sitting in front of his computer. There were definitely fleeting moments upon flicking back and forth between the website that you almost forget that it's not Keats writing :shock: .
"Call’d him soft names in many a mused rhyme,
To take into the air my quiet breath"
Fortuna

Postby Saturn » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:08 pm

That would not surprise me.

There are still people in the world who believe Sherlock Holmes is not only real, but still alive, and who write letters to 22b Baker Street asking him to solve their crimes.
:roll:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby AhDistinctly » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:29 pm

Saturn wrote:There are still people in the world who believe Sherlock Holmes is not only real, but still alive, and who write letters to 22b Baker Street asking him to solve their crimes.

:shock: What are you implying? Not real? Impossible. He's as real as Mickey Mouse!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
AhDistinctly

Postby Saturn » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:49 pm

My letter to Columbo has thus far gone unanswered...

And the A-team?

Forget it :(
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:56 am

Yes, but Elvis is still kicking it--right here in the bayou city. :wink:
dks
Dante

Return to Keats around the world