Got an extra $65,000 (£ 34,140)

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Got an extra $65,000 (£ 34,140)

Postby AhDistinctly » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:01 am

Look what is for sale over at abebooks.com:

Poems. Keats, John.
C. & J. Ollier, London, England, 1817. Full-Leather. Book Condition: Near Fine. First Edition. NEAR FINE 1st edition (London: Printed for C. & J. Ollier, 1817). The EXCEEDINGLY RARE 1st edition of John Keats's first collection of poems. Small octavo (4" by 6.5"), [xvi], 121 pages, [1, blank], (vi). Beautifully bound by Riviere in full crushed navy morocco (signed within gilt dentelle on front turn-in). Covers plain except for triple gilt fillet near board edges; spine decorated with floral gilt designs in 4 compartments, gilt spine lettering in 2 compartments (plus Lond. 1817 near the foot), 5 raised bands. Wide, heavily gilt decorated dentelles, marbled pastedowns, plain maroon free endpapers, all edges gilded. The front matter consists of the maroon free endpaper, which is blank on the verso, 3 blank pages, the half-title page, with verso containing the following statement: "Printed by C. Richards, / No. 18, Warwick Street, Golden Square, London.", title page, with the verso blank, dedication page ("To Leigh Hunt, ESQ." + 14 lines of poetry, with the following statement on the verso: [THE Short Pieces in the middle of the Book, as / well as some of the Sonnets, were written at an / earlier period than the rest of the Poems.]. A magnificent copy; free on any flaws (other than very minor edge wear), hinges tight and uncracked.

Surprisingly, shipping is listed at $3.50 (media rate). For the price of the book, I'd throw in free overnight delivery!
...perched and sat and nothing more...
AhDistinctly

Postby Saturn » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:44 pm

:shock:

Do you think if we pool together we could buy it?

I have £80 in my wallet :oops:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:26 pm

What would Keats say if he knew one of his books was now worth at least $65,000. Considering there were MANY years when you could find Keats's poems in the 1p bin at the bookseller. (Wish I could go back in time and buy 100p's worth of his books ;) it'd pay for my college education. :lol:
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Return to Keats around the world