Confirmation of Registration anti-spambot question

What do you like and dislike about this site? How could we improve it?

Moderators: Saturn, Malia, Thilo

Confirmation of Registration anti-spambot question

Postby Ravenwing » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:26 am

CONFIRMATION OF REGISTRATION [for when becoming a member of this forum]

Name the youngest Keats brother.:
This question is a means of preventing automated form submissions by spambots.

Maybe, just maybe, it would be much easier for this forum to have new members if the difficulty level of its "Confirmation of Registration" question wasn't challenging, let alone incredibly arduous, for anybody other than the most obsessive of Keats' fans to correctly answer.

It is highly likely that the vast majority of people whom are new to this forum did visit it for the sake of John Keats the poet, and not for the sake of his obscure relatives (no offence, Tom)—especially since none of his relatives themselves were poets!

It really is wrong for this forum's anti-spambot question to be anything other than a simple non-Keats related question that has a one-word answer (such as "What day comes before Saturday?") that any human can easily answer and that any robot cannot.

Can you please change this forum's "Confirmation of Registration" anti-spambot question to something that is not ridiculously difficult for most people to answer? It should not be obscure in any way—it should not require potential new members to do any research, whatsoever. It should be a simple question that everybody already knows the answer to.

The following is an example of not-normal for an anti-spambot question:

"What is the square root of Pi divided by the triangular root of the Golden Ratio, plus the age in dog months of the King of France's thirteenth illegitimate son during the 12th century, and multiplied by the price of tea in China as decreed by Emperor 雲吞湯 during the first quarter Moon of 1514?"

The following is an example of normal for an anti-spambot question:

"What number comes after 93?"

We all hope for Life at this forum to be resurrected. We all want for its Winter to end, and for its Spring to begin. Yes, this forum is like Eden to many of us, but having a flaming-sword of the Cherubims to guard its gates is counter-productive because it is not a sin for anybody to be a Friend of Keats! The purpose of any forum's anti-spambot question is to prevent spam. Its purpose is not to prevent that forum from having new members.

Ravenwing

Re: Confirmation of Registration anti-spambot question

Postby Saturn » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:04 pm

A simple two second google search will find the answer to the question.

You do not need to be a Keats obsessive to know that. If someone has no interest in Keats at all they wouldn't bother even looking at the forum, never mind trying to register.

Honestly that is not the reason the forum has not had any new contributing members for years.

I will maybe change it to something simpler as an experiment and we shall see if it makes any difference at all.

I have to say I doubt it.

I have changed it to a simple captcha.

"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:15 pm

So in the 7 hours since I changed it, I have now 16 requests to activate new accounts, every single one of them a spambot.

I shall change it back to an easy question before I'm inundated any more.

How about 'what is Keats' first name?'

Surely that will deter bots and satisfy your request.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Ravenwing » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:44 pm

Thank you, Saturn, for having changed this message board's anti-spambot question to something that is also user-friendly for newcomers to the life and poetry of Keats.
Ravenwing

Postby Saturn » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:14 pm

No problem, it’s virtulaly idiot proof now, but I have still had some bots get through.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Cybele » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:11 pm

Thank you, Saturn, for your continued maintenance of this forum.
And thank you, Ravenwing, for your thoughtful comments and being interested in this forum's continuation.
I wish I had collection of good ideas to revitalize things.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Return to Feedback