Suggestion: quick-search page

What do you like and dislike about this site? How could we improve it?

Moderators: Saturn, Malia, Thilo

Suggestion: quick-search page

Postby Despondence » Tue May 11, 2004 12:01 pm

Hey Thilo,

As several of us have noted, many new users do not take the time to explore what's already posted on the board before throwing their question out there. The search engine is your friend, and it works really well, but it seems to be largely overlooked.

Here's an idea to put it to use: create a page of hot links to common topics, which invoke the search engine and simply returns the results. Think that would be possible (java script macro, or smth..)?

Scenario: as a newbie I drop by the forum to find info on e.g. "Ode to Pshche". I'm overwhelmed by the mass of info on the board and don't know where to start. But then I navigate to a "quick search" page and find the link Ode to Psyche. Clinking the link invokes the search engine and returns the results for this string as per usual - and I'm happy :)

What say ye? Such a page of links to commonly discussed topics would be most useful to people wanting information fast - so fast that they fail to take note the search feature. Such a page would include hot links to e.g. Grecian Urn, Nightingale, When I Have Fears, This Living Hand, etc etc...
Despondence

Postby Golyadkin » Wed May 12, 2004 5:43 pm

I agree completely. We do need that. I'll let Thilo know of your request.
"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
-Linus van Pelt; Peanuts

"I have yet to see proof of my own mortality."
-Me

Check out these sites:
golyadkin.proboards3.com
www.fyodordostoevsky.com
Golyadkin

Postby Thilo » Sat May 15, 2004 7:05 am

Hey Despondence and Golyadkin,

But where do we put the "quick search"-page so that new users will see it before posting their question on the ode to a nightingale? The easiest way would perhaps be to ad it to the forums as an announcement. What do you think?
Thilo
Site Administrator

Postby Despondence » Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Good point...hadn't thought of that. You're right it has to be visible, somehow. Do you mean a forum announcement with a link to the actual page, or to make the announcement into that page itself?

Either way, an announcement is a good idea. The page minght also linked from the front page; perhaps put a link somewhere around where the "search for a poem" feature is. I don't know. Hm. Your idea would probably work (for my life, I can't think of anything better).
Despondence

Postby Golyadkin » Mon May 17, 2004 5:17 pm

I placed an announcement in the Homework forum. Hopefully it will help.
"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
-Linus van Pelt; Peanuts

"I have yet to see proof of my own mortality."
-Me

Check out these sites:
golyadkin.proboards3.com
www.fyodordostoevsky.com
Golyadkin

Thank you

Postby Thilo » Thu May 20, 2004 6:38 am

Thanks, Golyadkin!

I have also integrated a very clear short announcement on the Homework forum description. This will hopefully also be read by those who visit the other forums.

Thilo
Thilo
Site Administrator

Return to Feedback